Bois d'Arc Hollow Form

Cody Colston

3 5/8" x 6", finished with Danish Oil and Beall buffed. The collar is from some Ebony a friend brought back when he was working in West Africa.

Attachments

• Boisd'ArcHF.jpg
    Boisd'ArcHF.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Boisd'ArcHF2.jpg
    Boisd'ArcHF2.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 42
Very nice work. Now bear with me here, is Bois d'Arc the name of the form or the wood. Either way it's beautiful

Bois d'Arc is the name of the wood...also called Osage Orange plus about a dozen different names. I just grew up knowing it as Bois d'Arc, pronounced Bodark in East texas. ;)

Super nice! I'm looking forward to try my hand at HF.

I don't know how to pronounce "Bois d'Arc", so I think I'll just call Orange wood. :D

bois d'arc

Interesting name of what is commonly known as osage orange. Does anyone know of the properties of this species, as the translation of bois d'arc would roughly be bow wood, and in bows and arrows. Does it bend much? I don't know if we have it up here, or if we do, but by another name.:huh:

Interesting name of what is commonly known as osage orange. Does anyone know of the properties of this species, as the translation of bois d'arc would roughly be bow wood, and in bows and arrows. Does it bend much? I don't know if we have it up here, or if we do, but by another name.:huh:

Right, roughly 'bow of the arc'. It was, and still is, used for making bows. It is very strong and flexible. A hard-hard wood also useful for mallets and such. Known by many names; OO, bodark, hedge, hedge apple, horse apple, post wood, and tons more.

Thanks for the comments, y'all. They are always appreciated.

Ron, I had always known the wood and the tree as Bois d'Arc. The softball-sized fruit is known as "horseapples" around here. Until I started woodworking (this millenium) I had never heard it called Osage Orange which, by-the-way, is another reference to the fruit, not the wood color.

Yeah,I know it as Osage Orange. I had a few small pieces I got from my dad's wood stash when he passed away. I made a mallet with a piece and when I started turning I made a few small bowls with what was left. I knew about the fruit, but didn't realize it had so many nom d'wood