Steel City Toolworks 17" Drill Press

Tod

Yes just a bit, used it to bore some holes for some miller dowels for a quick xmas present (more in another post)

It seems great so far,

Jay

That looks like a very fine addition to your shop. I'm sure you will get much enjoyable use from it.
You said, "I think the chuck key is very cool, never seen one like this, there is a spring loaded rod on the tip, you can't leave it in the chuck, it pops out as soon as you let go."
Glad you like it. The key that came with my Grizzly drill press had one of those included. I considered it a major irritation and replaced as soon as possible.

You said, "I think the chuck key is very cool, never seen one like this, there is a spring loaded rod on the tip, you can't leave it in the chuck, it pops out as soon as you let go."
Glad you like it. The key that came with my Grizzly drill press had one of those included. I considered it a major irritation and replaced as soon as possible.

That type of key came with my Delta also. It was discarded very quickly.

I don't know guys, it still works for me, although I admit I haven't used it a whole lot. Just put a rare earth magnet on the side of the case and it holds the key just fine when I'm not using it.

Jay

Looks like one of those personal preference things. Some people are going to like it and others are going to hate it. The good thing is that they both work.

The magnet is a good fix for misplaced keys.

That type of key came with my Delta also. It was discarded very quickly.
I tighten chucks gradually while working the key around… sorta like tightening lug nuts with a tire iron. I have never left a key in a chuck and I have never picked up a running lawnmower by its deck.

I have seen a terrible bruise on a co-worker’s arm when he left the square key in the headstock of a lathe.

I cut those springy pegs off pronto for tools in my shop, but leave then on in factories.

Looks like one of those personal preference things. Some people are going to like it and others are going to hate it. The good thing is that they both work.

The magnet is a good fix for misplaced keys.

Yep I would agree, because I like mine and the safety it offers. I usually tighten by hand until the chuck hold the bit then I don't have to let go of the key to get it tightned all the way. I know some say they have to re-adjust the key to get the chuck tight but I haven't had that problem.

Norm

215-2720 RPM

Jay

That's a nice range. So many of them, (most actually) won't go slow enough to get in the recommended speed range for the "Larger" Forstner type bits, and that's a shame. Sounds like yours has a lot of the more important features for use in woodworking.

Well Tod wanted to see it in action, here is a pic of the setup for drilling some miller dowels.

I wouldn't have tried this with a handheld drill, there wasn't enough wiggle room for any "off plumb" drilling.

The long quill stroke really helped out here.

Jay

Last edited:
Keep that picture saved for future questions about "what drill press should I get?". On other forums, I don't know how many times I have seen questions asking about the best bench top drill press. Mine is a bench top and I regret the decision to not get a floor model. What you are doing there is just not possible with mine. Floor models are vastly more versitile.

Alan

I bought the Grizzly version, parts for the one I was able to get plans for were going to run upwards of $40 before I bought any plywood! This was $29, it is a bit small but gets the job done.

By the way, I was in a Sears store today and saw a very similar looking unit to my drill press, finish wasn't as nice, some of the controls had chinzy plastic knobs, and there wasn't a split quill adjustment. I forgot to look at the quill travel. I think it was $459. Looks like Steel City is getting the better finished castings from the factory and upgrading some other components

Jay

Chris

I am very pleased with it, no problems at all with the drill press. I wasted my money on the Griz table, thought I was getting smart when I compared the table to the cost of T track etc. to make a nice fence. I forgot about the size of this beast, to line the table up on the chuck I have very little space behind the chuck for the fence. The Griz table should work really well on a smaller DP

Jay

thank jay..appreciate the input

nancy,
yeah, trust me i haven't forgotten about that.

are ya'll still enjoying the planer and jointer. i really like the cast iron wings on the planer. does it come standard with the digital readout?

thanks
chris

jay, that looks like the ol` tried-n-true design others have been offering for years........simple and effective. the 6" quill is a really good thing! how `bout some under the hood shots for comparison? thanks for the review! tod

Hi Tod,
I'm not Jay but here are the pictures I took of mine. I love it!

http://www.dontee.sistmllc.com/drillpress/index.html
Change pages at the top of each page.

I have the same series of pictures on the 18" Band saw as well if anyone would like to see them.

Don

Last edited: