Steel City Toolworks 17" Drill Press

I am very close to getting one of these presses. I saw it in person in Joliet and should have bought it right there! I am going to call a local shop in Joliet (80 miles away) otherwise I may order from utterguys (their $99 shipping may not be to my house/shop though). I think this press has the best price point for the options listed and 6" stroke.

IS that $469 price at all dealers right now??

Last edited:
Mike,

Don't forget that's $469 and then a $75 rebate on top of that!!! Rebate ends in March, I believe, so best hurry. I got mine on a FoxShop mobile stand, cause that press is heavy and I have a very small shop.

Mike,

Don't forget that's $469 and then a $75 rebate on top of that!!! Rebate ends in March, I believe, so best hurry. I got mine on a FoxShop mobile stand, cause that press is heavy and I have a very small shop.

At this point I am trying to find a reasonably close dealer. I do not want to spend $99 to utterguys for shipping.

Anyone know a dealer on these that ships for free :)

Hey Mike! Welcome aboard!
You'll find some great people here but look out, they've got a haircut thingy going! :rofl:

Don

Utterguys came back and now asaid $174 for shipping ($99+$75 liftgate and residential charge). 34% additional to ship this Drill Press. Not at all happy with that! I will drive to Joliet and support the local dealer Chris sent me.

:eek: I don't blame you at all Mike, I don't think I paid that much. I'll dig it up.

Don

Hi Tod,
I'm not Jay but here are the pictures I took of mine. I love it!

http://www.dontee.sistmllc.com/drillpress/index.html
Change pages at the top of each page.

I have the same series of pictures on the 18" Band saw as well if anyone would like to see them.

Don
Hi Don, :wave:
That is very nice of you to do such a thorough job documenting your progress with the same DP. Thanks.:D

Hi Jay, :wave:
Seems like you have yourself quite the tool. What is a Quill? :huh: Pardon my unfamiliarity with the nomenclature

And why is 6'' better than 5'' other than the obvious " locker room reasons"?:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: It is neat how you can get these guys laughing incongruently, and out of harmony.
Shaz

Shaz

The quill is the part of the machine that travels up and down when you depress the handle.

So, you can drill deeper holes with a greater quill stroke.

I appreciate that a lot, my old drill press was a little benchtop, I was doing a project with thick wood, couldn't drill through, so went as deep as I could, then lifted the table up so the drill bit bottomed out when it was in the up postion

Then finished the drilling with another stroke. I had several holes to drill, it wasn't fun but I got it done

Jay

Hi Jay, :wave:
Thanks on that quill explanation. Let me ask you this...if the 6" throw for the quill is so good why don't they make let's say a 10" travel or is that stupid?
Sincerely,
Mentally challenged in Houston.:rofl: :rofl:

Shaz

I don't know, probably expense and it would make a BIG machine. I just buy 'em and use 'em -- I don't design 'em. Now if I could use 'em better!

Jay

shaz, the further the quill extends from the bearings the more runnout and if a fellow sideloads the quill the greater the chance for bearing failure.....tod

shaz, the further the quill extends from the bearings the more runnout and if a fellow sideloads the quill the greater the chance for bearing failure.....tod
Hi Tod, :wave:
When you say runnout.. is that like out of true or wobble?
And I'm sorry I don't understand sideload, does that mean horizontal pressure of the wood against the vertical turning
bits?
Shaz

shaz, runout is wobble......any deviation from a true circle.....and sideload is sideways pressure on the chuck.....you get sideload any time you drill but with larger bits it becomes much more of an issue just `cause of the larger diameter cutting radius.......look at the quill as a lever and the bearings as a fulcrum.......the longer the lever the more pressure on the fulcrum....

shaz, runout is wobble......any deviation from a true circle.....and sideload is sideways pressure on the chuck.....you get sideload any time you drill but with larger bits it becomes much more of an issue just `cause of the larger diameter cutting radius.......look at the quill as a lever and the bearings as a fulcrum.......the longer the lever the more pressure on the fulcrum....
Hi Tod, :wave:
That I understand. Thank you. "You da Man!" :thumb:
Shaz :)