My first bowl

Rob Keeble

Last year I was bought a new lathe as a gift by my elderly mother. Here is my first bowl I turned from a laminated Cherry blank. Had to buy some wood turning tools and invested in a one way chuck as well.

Attachments

• my first bowl.jpg
    my first bowl.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Lathe.jpg
    Lathe.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 40
Looks nice, Rob...much better than my first bowl. :thumb: Date it, sign it, and you'll have fun in a year or so when you compare it to your newer pieces.

Nice looking bowl. I think you should give it to your mother. She will cherish it even when you make better ones later.

That lathe looks just like my JWL 1236 so it's probably the Harbor Freight version of it. It's a very serviceable lathe at a great price.

I like your avatar, too! :thumb:

Rob,

Nice work. I like the blend of colors. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Like you, I'm a "newbie", although I've one bowl before -- 50 years ago -- in shop class in the 9th grade! I recently started using a lathe again to learn to do pens. I hope my first attempt at a bowl soon will be as nice as yours!

Hi Arnold

You just reminded me where I learnt to turn wood. I made a lamp in shop class back in high school somewhere in the early 70's. Guess I never forgot a little at least.:D

Rob,

Nice work. I like the blend of colors. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Like you, I'm a "newbie", although I've one bowl before -- 50 years ago -- in shop class in the 9th grade! I recently started using a lathe again to learn to do pens. I hope my first attempt at a bowl soon will be as nice as yours!

Thanks for the comments Cody.

My lathe actually is a Busy Bee version. Was nice and cheap at C$ 315 dollars. Good enough for me to start out won't be able to get rid of it due to sentimental reasons.

Nice looking bowl. I think you should give it to your mother. She will cherish it even when you make better ones later.

That lathe looks just like my JWL 1236 so it's probably the Harbor Freight version of it. It's a very serviceable lathe at a great price.

I like your avatar, too! :thumb: