anyone have jewelry box pictures?

Steve Ash

I just had a long talk with my son and it appears there is going to be some jewelry given to his girlfriend for Christmas....no engagement ring....yet, but more than likely a necklace or bracelet, he even said possibly a diamond chip in a ring....so it sounds like I neeed to build a jewelry box for this young lady.

Anybody mind sharing some pics of theirs while I'm getting ideas?

Steve, these are some I built 4-5 years ago. Mahogany/???/with Imbuia top. Inside top, bottom and tray swede leather covered and rosewood around the opening (top and bottom).

Attachments

• box1.jpg
    box1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 26
  • box2.jpg
    box2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 19
  • box5.jpg
    box5.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 15
  • box6.jpg
    box6.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 17
  • box7.jpg
    box7.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Steve, here are a pair of ring boxes I made as a wedding gift to LOML. For a bracelet or necklace I figure you're definitely looking for something bigger, but maybe these little ones will give someone ideas for future projects:

Ring Box Pair 1 - 800.jpg

The sides are pau ferro with birdseye maple dovetail keys, and the tops and bases are solid quilted maple. The bottom has a chunk of Rockler velvet ring holder foam stuff. Real simple, but getting a perfect lacquer finish on a small scale like that was a challenge.

Ring Box Solo 1 - 800.jpg

I came up with a handy trick for doing the tops and bottoms out of a single piece of 3/4" stock. I cut the bevels in the top, then cut a dado around the edge. The dimensions inside the dado match the inside dimensions of the box:

Top and Base 1 800.jpg

Then split it into top and bottom pieces on the bandsaw:

Top and Base 2 800.jpg

Comes out like this:

Ring Box Solo 2 - 800.jpg

That's my jewelry box story and I'm stickin' to it. :D

BTW Cecil, those are gorgeous boxes you did. :thumb: And I love the smell of imbuia when it's cut.

Nice looking boxes fellas...very nice. Gonna have to turn it up a notch to hang with you guys.

Keep em coming gang.

Bill, PM sent.

I built this Pencil Box/ Jewlery Box a few years ago for my wife. She is a 5th grade School Teacher and I thought this would be perfect for her desk.

In designing it though, I forgot a few things. One, the design should be impact resistant as she never took the Pencil Box to school. She felt the kids would tip it over and break it. Two, I should have waited to make it for her after more than two dates. I guess she thought all that work meant I was jumping the gun.

Over the 3 years it has been since I built this, she has learned that woodworkers are a funny lot. We don't consider this as a lot of work, rather building a box like this is rather a lot of fun. Incidentally she has always used this Pencil Box as a Jewlery box.

Pencil_Box_Front.jpg

Pencil_Box.jpg

Progress

This is how far I got today, even when dealing with carpet installers etc.

I had some birdseye maple pieces laying around from my other project, Birdseye Maple bookcase, so I thought I'd make use of it and planed a piece down to 5/8, then put a bevel on it to be the base/

Next I took a piece of Cherry, (free) and planed that down to 3/8, mitered the corners and put in splined corners...anyone wanna guess what type of wood those splines are?

Then I glued up some Birdseye maple to make the top piece, I had some highly figured short pieces left over. After the glue dried, I ran that (top) piece through the planer to almost 1/2" then put the piece through my drum sander to not risk any tearout of the birdseye.

I will cut the top down to the correct size once I determine what hinge I am using. I will either bevel the top or round over....looking for suggestions also folks.

Thought about getting some pre-made cherry spindles (short) to act as little legs.

the pieces at this point are just setting on each other, not secured yet.

Attachments

• 100_2804.jpg
    100_2804.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 22
  • 100_2805.jpg
    100_2805.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 25
Steve, that color contrast when finished is going to be very attractive. I found that the hinges on the ones I built were challenging, but they may be easy for you.

See, there ya go. :) That's pretty much my box-making methodology. Pick up a piece of pretty wood, cut it to fit another piece of pretty wood...do this a few times and bam! There's a box.

I've used the little barrel hinges and had pretty good luck with them, although you have to have 45° bevels on the lid and the back of the box. Have you considered having no hinges...just a lift-off top?

HPIM2214 TCLR 800.jpg HPIM2212 TCLR 800.jpg

Okay Vaughn, I took you suggestion into consideration and thought I'd give it a go. Following are some more pictures of the lid and how it fits.

Next step, sanding, finish and hopefully in the flatwork gallery if it is presentable.:D

Anyone guess what kind of wood those splines are made of yet?

Attachments

• 100_2809.jpg
    100_2809.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_2812.jpg
    100_2812.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 100_2813.jpg
    100_2813.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 3
Hi Steve,
Your box is really taking shape, a little sand a little finish and you have a real prize to share. Great examples and help from the guys out there, talented lot they are. :D You fit right in.
Shaz .........Oh yeah...
splines of hulunga hola.... Right? Now send me the money... I won some didn't I?????:rofl: :rofl: Come on Big Boy cough it up :rofl: :rofl: