Tree down, wood orange, worth keeping?

:wave:Hi Folks :wave:,
What kind of tree is this? :huh: It is cut, but my question starts with what is it?
I would hate to throw away 100,000 pen blanks and multiple bowls some turners could turn if it is worth giving to someone?:dunno:

question as to tree type.jpg

question as to tree type (1).jpg

question as to tree type (2).jpg

question as to tree type (3).jpg

question as to tree type (4).jpg

question as to tree type (5).jpg

question as to tree type (6).jpg

question as to tree type (7).jpg
Thanks and do you want some? :D
Shaz :)

Hi Folks :wave:,
Thank you for the feed back. In the spring before the leaves, it does bloom with an all encompassing white blossum. I'm just trying to figure out if it is a wood worth saving to give away?:dunno:
The debris trucks take away the drops.
I don't turn much, how can I tell if (while green) it is worth the saving for turners?
Shaz :huh:

Shaz,

While incredibly generous and thoughtful of you, I'm guessing any turners in the area have access to lifetimes worth of wood at the moment.

As much as I hate to type it, pitch it and keep cleaning up.

:DGet some rest too!

Looks like it might be a callery pear tree. I would bet that like most other frut woods it turn up purtty. But it is hard to get it to dry. If it was laying in my front yard I would give it a go on the spinny.:dunno:
Hi Chuck :wave:,
Your advice is much appreciated. It may be something I need address myself, as you say. Let my turning begin! :eek::rofl:
Thanks,
S :)

Shaz,

While incredibly generous and thoughtful of you, I'm guessing any turners in the area have access to lifetimes worth of wood at the moment.

As much as I hate to type it, pitch it and keep cleaning up.
Hi Barry :wave:,
You words hit home. I am not responsible for saving great stuff :eek:(maybe great stuff:dunno:) for the rest of the world.:huh: I can pitch it and still survive. I will be okay if it is valuable and I throw it away. My life is more than stuff! I can do this, Thank you :),
S...:)

:DGet some rest too!
Dear Barry :wave:,
I think I need some rest.:doh:Thanks :thumb:.

Bradford Pear. One fell across the street, last week. they cut up "firewood" and it is perzackerly as discribed and pictured. Loverly white blooms in the spring, exact same leaves as pictured and the wood is fabulous. Now I have to go over and introduce myself to the new neighbor and steal/borrow some of the wood before it starts to check.

images

Common Names: Bradford pear, Callery pear, ornamental pear

IMHO :wave:

Shaz,

I'd say cherry...

Hi Greg :wave:,
Your pile looks like my pile:D. Does that tree put out extremely sharp pointie "I'll be glad to hurt you" needles all over it during most of the year? ...S :)

Bradford Pear. One fell across the street, last week. they cut up "firewood" and it is perzackerly as discribed and pictured. Loverly white blooms in the spring, exact same leaves as pictured and the wood is fabulous. Now I have to go over and introduce myself to the new neighbor and steal/borrow some of the wood before it starts to check.
Hi Bill :wave:,
That looks like the blossums of my tree "from a far" but my trunk split into major unruly branches at about 4'. Also, does the Bradford pear put up shoots from the roots within a 12" radius of the tree? They were always a problem, like a privet hedge does if you are familiar with that.:dunno:...S :)

images

Common Names: Bradford pear, Callery pear, ornamental pear

IMHO :wave:

If it's Bradfor Pear, a turned item might look like this:
http://www.familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?p=82585
Hi Frank :wave:,
Thanks for the photo injection!:thumb: Very nice and relative, IF infact it is a Bradford Pear!:eek::doh::D...S

This hunk was well seasoned and very hard. Now, with time, it has lost the orange color and is not as pleasing to look at.

Any turner wanting to make baby toys, pear and apple are not toxic woods for babies to "gum" on.
Hi Jonathan :wave:,
This kind of information is more valuable than to just this thread! Please start a thread and make this information common knowledge in the forum!!
Thanks,...S

I appreciate the help and have had too much on my plate to do anything with it as of yet. If I decide to keep it, even just some of it, what is an easy way to stop the checking, or do I even need worry:huh::dunno:.
What? ME Worry!:doh::rolleyes:

Shaz, you might not stop the checking, but you can slow it down by sealing the cut ends of the logs. Most turners use a wax emulsion like Anchor Seal. (Rockler - and I believe Woodcraft - have their own label versions of the same stuff.) If that's not handy, you can use old latex paint...a few coats slopped on thick will help prevent checking.

Here's another example of what that wood can look like:

Bowl 038 - 04 800.jpg

Shaz, you might not stop the checking, but you can slow it down by sealing the cut ends of the logs. Most turners use a wax emulsion like Anchor Seal. (Rockler - and I believe Woodcraft - have their own label versions of the same stuff.) If that's not handy, you can use old latex paint...a few coats slopped on thick will help prevent checking.

Here's another example of what that wood can look like:

View attachment 24157
WHOA:eek:, in the hand of the Master, a beautiful piece.
Hi Vaughn :wave:
Thanks,