Miter Saw Stop Block?

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
I've got a dewalt 12 inch Miter saw on a Delta collapsable rolling stand.

What I'm looking for is a way to attach a fence to the saw that will allow me to use a stop block to make repeatable cuts.

Anybody out there whos come up with a creative way of doing this on a portable stand that would like to share?

Thanks!

This is the one I have

41AeSw882jL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Delta Universal Miter Stand

It appears to not have an adjustable stop block as part of it's make up.

It does excel at being able to be moved around, so I suspect that feature was excluded to make it more portable.

I've been thinking about options like a removable top rail, or something that bolts to the face of the saw fence.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but if the roller bracket has
an "L" iron just below the roller like the Ridgid portable
stand has. then that is the adjustable stop.

The roller adjusts high and the end of the board butts up and sets in to
the "L" iron just below the roller. It doesn't get real close to the blade
but is a stop never the less.

Last edited:
Well, Here's what I came up with.

My solution starts with a 6' long piece of 1" square Aluminum tubing and a thick chunk of maple scrap.

Using existing holes on the back of the miter saw, I tapped them for 5/16x18tpi and drilled some appropriate holes in the Aluminum tube.

Using a dado blade, I cut a 1 inch channel in my stop block and drilled and tapped a hole in the back for a knob.

To reduce the knobs tendency to shift the stop block when tightening it, I put a little rare earth magnet on it.

I also put a stick on tape measure on the tube to make setting the distance easy and repeatable.

For cuts that are shorter than 12 inches, I cut a piece of scrap wood exactly 12" long.

Using another magnet on the stop block and a small screw in the 12" spacer I'm able to set the table up for shorter cuts.

RailAttachment_sml.jpg

Stop Rail_sml.jpg

StopBlock_sml.jpg

ShortPieceStop_sml.jpg

It actually works very well.

It was a quick and easy fix, the only caveat is that you need to make sure to watch out for it when walking around the shop :eek:

I did find plans for a mobile stand with flip up wings from Shop Notes that I'm planning on putting together this winter though...

I see no reason you couldn't fabricate a "fence" to the Folding stand that will reach out and place a stop block.

Reciently my mother bought a new Patio home while under construction, the finisher (who was not there when I saw his set up) had left his saw stand in the garage over the weekend..

P1020160a.jpg

I couldn't help but take a couple of pictures, wish I had taken more...

P1020159a.jpg

As you can see, the miter saw (later I saw it was a Compound Sliding Miter Saw) affixed to the center of his stand, and the stand supported the long trim pieces, With such a feature you could assemble a sliding stop block, Just need some thought.

joint.jpg

Anyway, here is another I dea from an old Finishing Carpenter, I believe he said he was 76 years old at the time.

Now that's a very clever stand :thumb:

Also a nice way to make some take down saw horses...

Last edited: