So this is Where Tod and the boys are !

Ben Roman

Now I know where to get the straight skinny on projects and or rookie questions !! Nice site ! I am getting ready to remodel a closet. Shelves drawers and all the goodies the LOML wants. What wood should I use ??

Ben

Hi Ben--welcome and in answer...depends on budget and other issues. Walk-in? Size? Hanging drawers below a "table top" or lowest fixed shelf?

If I could spend your money [be thankful I cannot <g>] I would use Cedar for the drawer fronts and other show surfaces such as verticals and shelf edging and ...

Else I would also use Poplar and paint it. Possibly 1 1/8" MDF for shelving which I would probably face to top with melemine for cleaning purposes and depending on how your winters/summers are where you live, no clothes will stick to it.

Take care, Mike

hi ben! when i do closets or dressers i like to use cedar for the drawer bottoms, a simple tongue-n-grove allowing the expansion to take place at the back of the drawer...one or two screws in saw kerfs will allow the wood to move and still function as a bottom......the face material is up to your wife-n-pocketbook;) ....tod

hi ben! when i do closets or dressers i like to use cedar for the drawer bottoms, a simple tongue-n-grove allowing the expansion to take place at the back of the drawer...one or two screws in saw kerfs will allow the wood to move and still function as a bottom......the face material is up to your wife-n-pocketbook;) ....tod

Nice tip about the cedar for drawer bottoms, I must have seen it before but never really gave it much thought. Will put that into my mental file for future use.

Richard