Tires Got Slashed.....Depressed

I really need to get this off my chest right now. I woke up this morning to find that all four of the tires on my wife's car were slashed. We live on a city block where nothing usually happens, but crime is not uncommon. From that standpoint it's not surprising. But our car was up in our driveway, not on the street, and all four of them were punctured. Not what I would call a 'random act'. Yet there is nothing that has ever happened with our neighbors that would warrant this kind of reaction. The first two years at our house have gone so smoothly until this summer.

It's so discouraging. We have a very low income, and this is a loner car from my father-in-law. He will be covering the cost, but this isn't the first time this car has been damaged when parked overnight. I feel like every time we get back on our feet we keep getting kicked back down. Events like this just bring anxiety and paranoia into everyday life, things which I struggle with in the first place.

I am feeling so crummy.

Hutch

Take the high road. It's hard, but in the end you are a happier man. Hopefully your neighbors are not behind this, and I am assuming a police report has been filed. Never know if that will prove to be relevant down the road.

Meantime, rejoice in the friends you have, especially here. I can very much relate with low income and getting knocked down just when you think things are improving. Hang in there.

I'm sorry you had that happen to your car. Sounds like a certain group of kids have reach "that age" around your area this summer. We'd all prefer random acts of kindness but it seems the bulk of what kids are exposed to teaches the opposite.

Please don't give in or lose hope. Vent when you have to as this will help you keep your balance. File a report because if nothing else, it will increase a number in a column somewhere that may cause a better decision by those who pay the police and install street lights.

Look to the simple things you have that many others only hope for. I've been at opposite ends of the spectrum more than once and expect a return trip or two before I'm through. I'll be thinking about you; as Carol said, hang in there.

Ditto what Carol and Glenn have already said. This kind of thing can make you very angry and cause you to loose faith in your fellow man. Don't give up!

What Glenn and Carol said Matt.

It truly sucks.

Here in Tokyo, years ago, I had someone do that to my motorcycle, my bike was parked on our land, off the street covered, and the bike was NOT loud, nor did I ride like a nutter, just someone who went after my bike :dunno:

Tires were about a week old, $500 in tires down the tube.

Never did figure out who did it, the cops did not care, but I heard back later that around my area, about 10 bikes had their tires slashed in one month.

I feel for you, but there is really nothing you can do, but report it, and then move on.

Stu :wave:

Yup, I have to agree with those who recommend venting when necessary, but leaning to the good sides of life whenever possible. Hug your family, wave "hi" to your neighbours, you will feel better.

How do I know? ..... I used to own my own small engine and equipment company. I started it in 1991, sold it in 2001 and retired from it last fall (to work for myself again) Here's the list with approximate years:

1992 : truck through a garage door of store/shop - four snowblowers stolen
1992 : front door ripped open : four each of chainsaws, generators and grass trimmers stolen
1994 : attempted break-in by an escaped convict at my home garage - ex-con rearrested at gun point in the middle of a local road.
1996 : front door ripped open - nothing stolen (chainsaws were well anchored) - cost to repair door - $800
1998 : locked landscape equipment trailer stolen - cut lock and chains left behind on the ground
2000 : garage door pried open at newly purchased store/shop - nothing had been moved in yet, so nothing was stolen
(2001 : sold my company at this point, but stayed to work for five years - still own the building)​
2004 : front door of store ripped open - interior security barrier stopped them
2004 : having seen the barrier, they came back properly equipped two weeks after the above incident - ripped open the door - cut through the security barrier - cleaned out the store of all the new Stihl brand equipment

Every time we were violated we had to ante up the deductible on our insurance or pay the repairs ourselves depending on how much the damages were.

Yup - I know how you feel .... chin up there lad ... it gets better

cheers eh?

John

Cant compare

i have been up and down as well matt and this family here is on your side,, keep yur chin up and i am in the same state and within a hour of your place so if you want to chat or complain in person i am here for that too.. i got broke into last year and they stole alot of tools and my bow which was my third arm... one week before opening day... so i know the violated feelings well.. but it does get better we can prevail together,,there are more good guys than bad ones:thumb: we might not all look purty but we got good hearts:)

Cheer up Matt. These things are part of life and beyond your control. There are people in this world who are starving and they don't have a roof over their heads. Instead of stressing yourself, think of all the things that you are blessed with, like your family and health etc.

Hey, I know a great way to release stress...................Woodworking. Give it a try.

Hutch,
Everybody has given you some great advice. We all need to vent every once in awhile.

Question: Do you have access to a video camera? if so I would video the car & you might get lucky & catch the culprit & make them pay for any & all damage.

Matt
I been there and still fume over it if I dwell on it. Its hard not to dwell on it but realizing it's thing(S) and not people that were damaged is the bright spot I learned to try and dwell on. What we all want to do is not let the things that happen to us define us, but the things we do define us. It not always easy but it is always worth the effort..

Garry

More from the home front....

Well, I thought I only had to deal with tire damage on one vehicle. Turns out they made it to the other car too. So the tally is 5 tires out of 8 stabbed. This car was parked in the street, and I am guessing they got interrupted before they could finish the job. So much for having money in the bank.

Thank you all for the encouragement. I have been dealing with it ok I suppose, and I am feeling better as the day progresses. I will have to be careful not to get sucked into a worrier's mentality, which is kinda what I am. Your personal stories and comments have really helped keep things in perspective. As said, if losing $500 worth of tires is the worst of it, then I can't be too distressed. I have indeed been thinking about those who have had to deal with much worse, and I feel blessed.

Right now I think that all I can do is pray and move on.

Hutch

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I almost forgot...

Tires on both the Volvo and my civic are fine this morning, thank goodness.

I also forgot to mention that the reason we have the car is because my wife has Lyme Disease. I am sure the person who did this had no idea of that, but it's an interesting nuance to the situation. She needs the Volvo because every movement of the car and bump in the road causes her pain and/or muscle knotting. The volvo helps to reduce the impact. It also has handicapped parking plates, and mine does not. From the standpoint of my wife's health I am mad as all heck, but I realize that people don't think that those who look normal can also have a medical handicap.

But all in all, I am over it. I got a good night's sleep, and it looks like it's gonna be a beautifual day. God bless!

Hutch

Hi Hutch :wave:,
I wish you the very best today. It is considerate of you to share these unfortunate events with the folks here. It is a good place to lay out those heavy feelings. You are not alone.
Shaz :)

What Glenn and Carol said Matt.

It truly sucks.

Here in Tokyo, years ago, I had someone do that to my motorcycle, my bike was parked on our land, off the street covered, and the bike was NOT loud, nor did I ride like a nutter, just someone who went after my bike :dunno:

Tires were about a week old, $500 in tires down the tube.

Never did figure out who did it, the cops did not care, but I heard back later that around my area, about 10 bikes had their tires slashed in one month.

I feel for you, but there is really nothing you can do, but report it, and then move on.

Stu :wave:

In America, we are fed a line of pap that ours is the only country with crime. Japan is often mentioned as being one of the most crime free countries in the world.

I have waited a bit on this thread to give it some thought before replying. I hope what I say makes sense...

Let me start by saying that I can appreciate your troubled thoughts. When my parents house burned down, and I came home to find my wife had left me for some guy she met on the internet, and I had no job, car or parents next door, I got a little depressed too. In fact I figured I ought to take the only thing my ex-wife did not take,and thus I tried to take my own life. I never knew that 10 days later I would meet my current wife Patty, have a beautiful daughter and basically turn my life all around in every conceivable way.

If you are waiting for me to say "pull it together,things will get better", you will have to wait a long time. See I know the human mind does not always think like that. In fact the human mind is just incredible and the best neurologist in the world can only understand about ½% of it. It works in very mysterious ways.

For instance, the human mind can allow a solider to endure the most horrific of conditions to maintain survival in the heat of battle, and yet 6 months later in the relative tranquility of these United States, allow that same solider to self destruct via suicide. One mind...two extremes...it takes incredibly complex chemistry to do that.

I sincerely hope that this is what it appears to be, a little depression due to shock. I mean some low life invaded your area, slashed your tires, and made your life more difficult than it already is. Who would do such a thing? That my friend is shock and completely justified.

Perhaps though it is something more. The truth of the matter is, the human brain can sometimes over power reason. A chemical deep inside becomes diluted and we just feel there is no hope. I sincerely hope that you can see the true reality of your situation.You are so fortunate to have a family member that has funds and cares enough about you to lend his car. And by golly my friend, there are so many worse diseases to have then Lyme Disease. Heck you even have a home to stay in even if its not the best of neighborhoods when so many people are really homeless.

If it sounds like I lack compassion, I can assure you I do not. I wish you the very best of luck. But at the same time, if you truly cannot see some good in your situation, then this conversation should end right here. Family Woodworking is a great place to discuss stuff, but this topic should be reserved for the tranquility of a Dr's Office. They might not understand 100% of the complex human mind, but there are tools available to help reprogram the mind to see the good in the world. Sometimes its just physically impossible for people to feel good. Something is missing but it does not have to remain that way in this day and age.

For your sake I hope its just just the shock of feeling violated. If that's the case then feel free to day dream away about catching the little puke in a blocked alley and pummeling him until he cries uncle.:)

Interesting

First of all, I know what you are saying, yet I want to clarify that a person can be depressed without the kind of deep and encompassing depression to which you seem to be referring.

Also, I am not sure you understand how serious Lyme Disease can be. Yes, there are many horrible diseases out there, and we both feel we are very blessed. My wife is doing great, thank God, but at one point she was bed ridden for about 18 months, and couldn't move due to the pain. I mean, she literally couldn't even lift an arm. And yes, Lyme Disease can be fatal. I am not trying to be overdramatic, and I am not wanting to get into any type of tiff. But I am a little miffed at how you put things.

Thanks for sharing what you've been through. I certainly don't want you all to think that I feel I am getting the worst of it.

Hutch

P.S. I don't want this to turn into a big long dramatic thread about how so-and-so misunderstood/offended so-and-so.

Last edited: