WTB - Carved dove

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I know a few of you out there have CNC or laser machines, or have friends that do. For the chancel furniture I'm building I need a carved dove. Nothing super special or detailed. The shape should be something like this
pulpit 001 cropped.jpg

The size is approximately 11" wing tip to wing tip. I'd like it to have more character than just the flat board as shown above. Something like this perhaps (detail, not shape)
Carved Dove cropped.jpg

Please PM me with any information, contacts, etc.

Mods: I believe I am working within the CoC for this forum. If you believe otherwise please feel free to pull the post and contact me. I will be happy to revise or rescind.

But Rennie, that's a bandsaw and a chisel... and maybe a chance to acquire a new skill... or a new tool, like a dremel... ;)

Are you sure you want to outsource? ;)

Thanks,

Bill

But Rennie, that's a bandsaw and a chisel... and maybe a chance to acquire a new skill... or a new tool, like a dremel... ;)

Are you sure you want to outsource? ;)

Thanks,

Bill
:rofl::rofl::rofl: Bill, I wear a beard to hide the scars from me missing my mouth with the fork. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I've never tried carving, might some day, but not on a commissioned piece that will be seen by a couple of hundred people every Sunday. To quote Dirty Harry, "A man's got to know his limitations." :D

Well Rennie, I do not have any of those machines that you mention but as my wrists seem to be healing I wouldn't mind giving it a try.
The only problem is that maybe I can't find here the wood you want it made from. If any wood fits I can make it out of basswood (I think that's the english name)

Here's the deal, I'll make it the best I can, if you like it you take it for the shipping, if not it will have helped me to brush up my carving technique so long neglected:(

Well Rennie, I do not have any of those machines that you mention but as my wrists seem to be healing I wouldn't mind giving it a try.
The only problem is that maybe I can't find here the wood you want it made from. If any wood fits I can make it out of basswood (I think that's the english name)

Here's the deal, I'll make it the best I can, if you like it you take it for the shipping, if not it will have helped me to brush up my carving technique so long neglected:(

Toni shame on you,, havnt we had this conversation before on here your not chargin enuff:D and besides this is rennie yur dealin with:rofl:

Toni shame on you,, havnt we had this conversation before on here your not chargin enuff:D and besides this is rennie yur dealin with:rofl:

Well Larry, You don't know how expensive is Spanish Mail service do you?:rofl:

Besides, Rennie looks like a trustfull fellow, maybe you know him better that I do:)

Last edited:

Toni,

You honor me, and you are most generous. Having seen some of your work here on the forum I know you to be a true master carver. But you are correct, the shipping is rather expensive.

I did a quick check on FedEx and a 3 lb package would cost about $111 US. Is there a cheaper way to ship? I tried the UPS site but there is something wrong with the international quote page.:(

Hi Rennie.

111$ Seems a lot to me, even for spanish rates, let me check at the post office and I'll send you a pm with my findings.

On the worst scenario I could make it out of balsawood:rofl:

BTW. Thanks a lot but I'm no master carver at all, just a wannabe one, maybe in some years time...