Bed makers connections

larry merlau

what is your prefernce for attaching the aprons to the head and foot boards? and being sturdy enough to with stand the riggers that a bed goes threw in its life span.?

127456.jpg

If the rails are end grain, drill holes and insert the dowels for he screws to bite into. Otherwise they will fail. If it a natural finished wood, drill blind holes from that backside.

what is your prefernce for attaching the aprons to the head and foot boards? and being sturdy enough to with stand the riggers that a bed goes threw in its life span.?

Larry I can't say about the best way to attaching aprons, but I would just say no to any riggers getting in the bed.

Larry
When I used to make bed frames we used a cast Iron brackets that when put together they would work themselves tighter and tighter with use. :rofl: It is what was used in the good old days. You can find them from one source in Ozark Missouri that carries reproduction hardware. The name of the place was Scott, Becker hardware. Will try to find the phone # for you.

It was the best hardware I ever used and I had a lot of good feed back on them.
Jay

Larry
When I used to make bed frames we used a cast Iron brackets that when put together they would work themselves tighter and tighter with use. :rofl: It is what was used in the good old days. You can find them from one source in Ozark Missouri that carries reproduction hardware. The name of the place was Scott, Becker hardware. Will try to find the phone # for you.

Jay
Jay

Is this what you were talking about? www.paxtonhardware.com/products.asp?dept=424&grp=1

It is not the same company, but...

IMHO, bed bolts are the only way to go, you can tighten them as you need.

The brackets like Jeff showed have not done well no our bed, the bed is now loose, and I did everything right, I did put cross dowels in for the endgrain, I used big nasty screws etc, but, as Larry says "sturdy enough to with stand the riggers that a bed goes threw in its life span" this is the problem, and no, I'm not "Rigger" ;) :D But still, a bed gets slept on daily, and the bed bolts are the way to go, if I ever make another bed, I'll be using bed bolts :wave:

Stuart
If you have never used these cast Iron bracket you don't know what you are missing. You are right about the ones that Jeff shows they are Junk (sorry Jeff I'm really not trying to be mean :D)

Bed bolt are better than the stamped steel brackets but not as good as properly installed cast iron bracket.

You will not need to go back and adjust these bracket as the normal movement of a couple will cause them to set tighter with each rocking monition. :rofl: they just get tighter and tighter and tighter BUT can still be taken apart quit easily.

If you look close at the cast iron brackets you will see they are made like wedges that pull the two parts closer together the more you push down on them. :thumb::thumb:

Jay

Stuart

You will not need to go back and adjust these bracket as the normal movement of a couple will cause them to set tighter with each rocking monition. :rofl: they just get tighter and tighter and tighter BUT can still be taken apart quit easily.

If you look close at the cast iron brackets you will see they are made like wedges that pull the two parts closer together the more you push down on them. :thumb::thumb:

Jay

I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel like I need a smoke after all that!

Jay, you are correct, I've not seen these cast iron brackets that you are talking about, but for me the failure in the system is not the brackets (though the do seem to flex) but the screws holding the brackets, they just work loose over time. :dunno:

Wood moves, we all know that, my point is with the bed bolts, you can at least compensate for said movement, by tightening the bolts, fairly quickly and easily too.

FYI :wave:

thanks for the info

View attachment Picture 1ss.pdfok now fer sum questions, the cast iron style ones have bumps on them and the one piece has side holes:huh: quess i dont see how the side holes work or the bumps.... also the paxton link bill has some strange language going on it for me????? i have takena snap shot of what i get and linked it here,,, i think its something with my mac??? well that didnt work.. the headings ar in english the rst is in hyro glyphics??????

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Larry

Jay

Last time we were through Ozark, they had a new sign. Like, perhaps the place had changed ownership or names. Dunno fer sure. I have bought there, good place.
Also you might try VanDykes http://www.vandykes.com/

can ya show me how

you installed them those bumbs got me unconfused:huh: i dont see how the bumps on them help out.. or there use.. quess i am havin a dense day here???
got nice pic like jeff showed us of your version installed

Larry I never used the ones with the bumps on them only the ones without. The bumps on the one would be to go into holes drilled in side rail for alignment and then the one screw installed to hold in place that way the bumps or pins do the work and the screw is just use to hold it tight to the rail.
Hope that makes sense :huh:
Jay

Added: Sorry no pictures Larry I was real bad about taking picture back then and I shut the shop down about 5 years ago. The only one I could get picture of was the one Mom bought and passed away last year and me an stepdad dont get along its also 350 mile from me.

Last edited:
Larry I never used the ones with the bumps on them only the ones without. The bumps on the one would be to go into holes drilled in side rail for alignment and then the one screw installed to hold in place that way the bumps or pins do the work and the screw is just use to hold it tight to the rail.
Hope that makes sense :huh:
Jay

yup that one sunk in,, just couldnt figure out the reason for the bumps and the screws,,