political prize

Frank Fusco

I'll try to keep this legal. ;)
Enneyhow, last night, we were at a big political rally for the party of our choice. My wife happened to be the chairman of the event and I am happy to say it was a smashing success. Almost 600 people turned out for entertainment, free food and speeches. Part of the activities included a 'Chinese auction' for donated prizes. The way it works is you buy some tickets and drop into the container in front of the prize you want. If your number is drawn, you win. I splurged on $4.00 worth of tickets and won this Bosch angle grinder. Price on it is $289.00. Not a bad return on my investment. It's a heavy sucka. Not sure what I am going to do with it. If it will (safely) accept those chainsaw edge circular carving blades I'll be able to make very good use of it. Otherwise it may just get the occasional use for cutting metal quicker than with a hacksaw.

Attachments

• Bosch grinder.jpg
    Bosch grinder.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 64
They are handy to have around. I don't do much metal work but I do find it a great tool to have around. Buy some cut off blades for metal cutting and you will never use your hacksaw again.

Well....they say things about the let-down after the afterglow. :(
Used this monster a couple times and now wonder if I'll ever have a use for it again. It is very heavy and undoubtedly designed for shops that do heavy-duty grinding.
Finding 10" grinding or cutting wheels is near impossible. Seems newer versions are all 9", which I could probably use OK.
But, other than having this set somewhere unused, I need ideas or may sell or give away.
I had thought to use one of those circular chain-saw-like wheels for carving and/or reducing chunks of wood to lathe ready pieces. But, the instructions (perhaps written by a lawyer) say not to do that. Dunno. :dunno: Safe? Or risky?

Frank, that looks like a big grinder, 10" disks :eek:! I just picked up a 4" "chainsaw disk" at a tool closeout warehouse store. I think they are also known as "arbortechs" or something similar. I haven't used it yet, but have seen many great things done with one on texturing turned pieces.

If you don't need/want it, maybe you could trade it to your machinist friend for some machining work? :dunno:

Congrats.....nothing like spreading the wealth around.

The way my luck runs, I'd need to spend 289 bucks to win a 4 dollar prize.:rofl:

Congrats.....nothing like spreading the wealth around.

The way my luck runs, I'd need to spend 289 bucks to win a 4 dollar prize.:rofl:

Yer right. And I'm complaining. :eek:
Just that I dislike waste. And, I have several tools that never get used. I envision my son selling them after I'm gone for fifty cents each at a garage sale. Oh, well....

I think I understand Frank - you don't want to have a tool you can't use much. Maybe you can sell it and buy something else. Have you looked on the bay to see what it goes for there?

For what little it's worth, I have a Makita 4.5" grinder, that I picked up because the price was very right, and it is useful for sharpening shovels, mower blades, stuff like that.

Congrats on the win, Frank. I'm betting the warning against using the Arbortec-style chain cutters is strictly for liability issues. I'd suspect that grinder would run that kind of head better than most. It's a beast. Also, I don't know of any reason why you couldn't run smaller wheels, both grinding and cutting. I don't think I've ever put a grinding wheel on mine. I've just used mine for cutting, so I keep a cutoff wheel on mine instead.

Nice grab, that thing is a beast. If you don't have a use for it, I'm with everyone else that says sell it and maybe buy a 4" grinder? Definitely many uses for those. I too picked up one of those chainsaw wheels and have not used it. My mom dvr's Martha Stuart all the time because she's obsessed, and she saved one for me of this guy that carves out large chunks of wood using that thing and turns them into square-shaped bowls. Looked kind of easy too. Anyway back to the subject... maybe you could get 150/200 big ones for it?

Frank, why do you think it runs a 10" disk, that is just HUGE, most of those bigger ones run a 7" disc, I've got an older Makita one, which is also a beast, no plastic on it at all, just steel and aluminum :thumb:

I use it when I'm doing a bit of welding, it grinds down to flat a weld bead in seconds, and without any grunt work at all, the smaller 4" grinders, which I have 3 currently and I've burnt up about 4 of them, over used them :eek:

Since I got the 6" unit, I've not burned any smaller units up.

I'd give you $200 for it if the deal was local. It is a "Blue" Bosch, so it will be well made.

Do you have a model number? :wave:

See! If you were in the right political party, they would have gave you a 4.5 inch grinder!.....just kidding:rofl:. I've never heard of a 10" angle grinder. Craigs list is the way to sell stuff around here. Personally, I'm excited about the FW fund raising raffle that I'll soon be winning:D;)

Frank, why do you think it runs a 10" disk, that is just HUGE, most of those bigger ones run a 7" disc, I've got an older Makita one, which is also a beast, no plastic on it at all, just steel and aluminum :thumb:

I use it when I'm doing a bit of welding, it grinds down to flat a weld bead in seconds, and without any grunt work at all, the smaller 4" grinders, which I have 3 currently and I've burnt up about 4 of them, over used them :eek:

Since I got the 6" unit, I've not burned any smaller units up.

I'd give you $200 for it if the deal was local. It is a "Blue" Bosch, so it will be well made.

Do you have a model number? :wave:

The owners manual says 10" and it accepts 10". I admit they are hard to find. The cutting disk I did find cost almost $10.00 while 9" and smaller were in the $2.00 to $4.00 range.
It is model 1752G.
I believe it is a discontinued model and, being so large, was old merchandise. That is probably why the merchant who donated it was so generous.
This is so large, it is hard to see what it is doing when in use. I have had offers but may just hang in garage for whatever. It's one of those things, if I sell or give away, a week later I'll need for something. Dunno yet, still deciding.