once again, disposing of old sheets of plywood

allen levine

After spending the week before cleaning out the shop, trying to de-ipe myself and my surroundings, I decided after 2 years all the old sheets of plywood had to go.
I spent almost one entire day cutting the really bad stuff down(nail holes, warped, painted on, stained all over), into proper sizes for my local trash haulers.
Taped and tied it all up nice and neat, dont need a problem with these guys.

Started to go out today and make another cut off point, figured if I havent used it yet, and it has paint on in, minus any nail holes, its gotta go.
So I decided to look at a picture and make a lawn ornament for halloween.
Im not sure how the painting of it will turn out, but Ill give it my best shot.

If ned was a nice guy, hed let me borrow his band saw for the next cartoon cutout, this was a job with a hand jigsaw.
(this was a 49inch piece, maybe 34 inches wide, but it had stain all over the back, and was chipped all over, had to go)

Attachments

• wood stuff 140 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 140 (Medium).jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Aye Carumba!
Don't have a cow, man!

Allen, one of the best Jack-O-Lanterns I've seen was a Bart Simpson head. It used a cylindrical yellow squash for the head, with the top cut in a zig-zag to mimic the spiky hair. What really sold it though was the eyes. They were made of a ping pong ball that had been cut in half. A dot in the center of each with a marking pen, and they had the perfect "bulging eyes" look.

OK, we see the picture of you holding an orange bucket. Where is the cut-out? :rolleyes:
Frugal ole me would never throw out plywood. A use always comes along.

Ive been holding on to old sheets for 2 years at least, and Im getting tired of moving them back and forth. Most have been used and had holes in them.
I always feel like Im going to use it for something, but then decide if Im building something new, I want clean fresh surface.
I gotta go prime that boy and start painting.

my daughter is not around to paint this one, and after priming, I decided to give it a try. Its a total disaster, but I cut it, so Ill finish it. (and it really is a disaster since at one point I thought I could draw, but bart looks like he might have something seriously wrong with him now)
Ill keep working on it this weekend, maybe get it presentable or not embarrassed to put out on the lawn.
and if I do put it on the lawn, Ill just tell the kids its barts ugly cousin.

Last edited:
I think along the lines of Frank. I keep wood till it is physically to small to do anything with. I will I can illustrate with some pen blank cutoffs:

Attachments

• small vase.jpg
    small vase.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 21
I think along the lines of Frank. I keep wood till it is physically to small to do anything with. I will I can illustrate with some pen blank cutoffs:
Dude, if you're out of wood, we could maybe take up a collection or something. :p

That little hollow form is sweet. :thumb:

Ive been holding on to old sheets for 2 years at least, and Im getting tired of moving them back and forth. Most have been used and had holes in them.
I always feel like Im going to use it for something, but then decide if Im building something new, I want clean fresh surface.
I gotta go prime that boy and start painting.

One of the joys of living in a semi-rural area without city-type restrictions is that I can put whatever I want anywhere. My place is neat, but I have stacks of wood in several spots. At the back, under old metal roofing I have a large stash of treated lumber and posts, comes in very handy several times a year. Outside my shop is a small pile or short but larger (4x4, 2-byes, etc.) hunks of treated lumber that is constant source of that 'just what I need' wood for numerous uses. In the covered area where I keep my mower is a large pile of hickory firewood I take to rendezvous. Behind the house is a stacked and stickered pile of red cedar. In the garage are stacks of maple and walnut slabs, a pile of Osage Orange and several other piles of various woods waiting for projects. Inside my shop.....we won't even discuss that :eek: are piles upon piles of other woods waiting for use. Rarely does anything large enough to "maybe" be useful get thrown away. A lot is given away, but never wasted.

Dude, if you're out of wood, we could maybe take up a collection or something. :p

That little hollow form is sweet. :thumb:

Haha, thanks Vaughn, I've got plenty. I just can't toss those little cut offs, I keep three or four glued to a waste block waiting for me to get turners block with a nice big piece. I pop one of those on and work some shapes out in mini size. Plus they look good in a shadow box. Here's a few sittin in front of me.

Attachments

• s6301343 600.jpg
    s6301343 600.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 9
:huh:

thought I posted the finished ugly bart here earlier?

anyway, when I first looked at it, I said, wow, really bad, but then realized its a halloween decoration, the distorted look works good.
This is the scary bart.(it beats throwing away old plywood, or maybe it doesnt)

Attachments

• wood stuff 147 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 147 (Medium).jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 14
last year, I had a full 6 foot version of one of the hockey mask type maniacs sitting with a clever in front of my house. the older kids loved it, everyone was taking pictures with it. the problem was, it was scaring the little kids, they werent coming near the door, so this year I decided to go little kiddy, make it big enough so they can shoot a pic with bart trick or treating.