Table saw motor v mounting question ?

Dan Mosley

I posted awhile back about a table saw i bought and it had a 3phase motor on it.....since i have taken it off and thought i would ask a question about it

Originally a 10" Contractor saw-Delta

Having alot of trouble finding a motor for it 115/230 so i callled Delta today. I gave them the following information as the 3phase motor was not OEM and it has a upgraded mounting plate on it which
Plate is 7 1/2 long x 5 1/2 wide with slots in it for mounting the new motor....4 slots, shaft size is 5/8,
from the back of the motor to the end of shaft is 13", from the ground to middle of the shaft is 3 1/2"

They told me to replace it with a 115/230, 1 1/2hp motor, capactor start,RPM-3450.....

Grainger sells them for $343.00 plus shipping

Surplus Center has them with 1725RPM and sells for $157.00
Sounds a bit to slow and couldnt find one with the higher rpm on that site.

Guess im a bit confused on what to do here and thought i would ask you what you think?

Put a bigger pulley on the 1725 rpm motor.

Try another of the surplus outlets (or Ebay) online. You'll likely get a better price, and may well find a 3450 rpm motor, too.

If I recall correctly, you'll need a NEMA 56 frame type motor. Try for a TEFC motor if you can, although Delta has always used an open framed one.

I just searched and found this at the surplus center.

WEG motor

It would be a good one assuming the base will fit.

Do you have any mechanical friends? Anyone that might have a used motor? There are tons of used motors laying around that can be picked up on the cheap. Of course scrap prices have sent a lot to the recycle centers.

Run an add on Craigslist, it's free. Might find one that way. Do you have a maintenance man or department where you work? One of those guys may have some squirreled away and be willing to sale one. I would dig around and ask some before I bought a new one. There is to many sitting around on shelves. I probably have something in my shop that work, so I bet you know someone that does too.