Help with bottom on 2nd bowl.

Keith Palmer

I have completed turning the inside of this Timberstrand bowl, but I am having a hard time deciding whether to have a footed bottom or flat? Here are some pics. The bowl is 9 3/4" wide and 2 3/4" tall without the tenon/foot. The tenon is 3 1/4" wide and 3/8" tall.

Recommendations greatly appreciated!
Keith

Attachments

• DSCN6456.JPG
    DSCN6456.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN6457.JPG
    DSCN6457.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN6458.JPG
    DSCN6458.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN6459.JPG
    DSCN6459.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 55
I normally like a foot on this size bowl but with this wood I think it is a bit to much. The wood is already busy enough, the foot is a bit distracting. IMO. In this case I would go footless in Tacoma !

The way I do mine is if it's used for basically show I like a foot cause it makes it look like it's floating over the table, but if it's for use I turn the foot off it makes it more stable & less likely to tip over IMHO.

I'm usually a "no foot" kind of guy, but I think this bowl would look nice with a foot that's about half as tall as it is in the pics.

Very interesting use of materials.

I like the foot....

How did it work for turning a bowl as compared to green wood?

Very interesting use of materials.

I like the foot....

How did it work for turning a bowl as compared to green wood?
Brent,

It is very hard, with all the resin in there that holds all the strands together. I had to resharpen after just about every other pass.

Which I am trying to find an add I saw. It was for bowl gouges that were made with the last 1/2" out of carbide. For the life of me I can't remember where I saw it.

Keith

Yeah, I'll bet that TimberStrand was tough cutting.

They aren't carbide, but Doug Thompson's gouges will go longer between sharpenings than any others I've tried.
Just after I made the last post I began searching for gouges online and had read so many testimonials, I had decided to add a Thompson gouge to my christmas list.

Thanks for confirming my decision! Since I am a beginner I was using the Benjamin's best line, but know I know how to well spend my money on good qualilty tools.

Keith

Keith,
IMHO Doug makes the best gouges you can buy & is a pleasure to talk to he'll help you any way you can & for as long as you need help. I made these 5 ring bowls using Doug's gouges & finally had to sharpen it after completing the last bowl.

Click pic for full size

I also heartily endorse the Easy Rougher from Craig. A few of the members here have it & Craig is the same as Doug a pleasure to deal with willing to help you any way you want.

Keith - I am normally not a big fan of a foot on a bowl but I think it works in this case. About the only thing I would suggest is to recess the inside portion of the foot so that the bowl will sit level.