Reasons!

larry merlau

Well i know a few of you folk think that all i am is big ole country hick that doesnt do much but have agood time in life as much as i can and thats true. i like to have fun, but i also pay attetion to what goes on here alot as well, maybe i dont post as much as some but i see some of the things that arent as they could be or possibly should be here in our family forum.. we have had some mighty fine folk that have went by the wayside for one reason or another and i feel that we need to address that.. me and shaz had couple threads that kinda touched on that here awhile back., for instance the one that shaz started about needing some serious help,, got alot response on that but if we arent reminded we all slip back into old habits.. also the MIA thread which i started asking for those that there wewr missing form our forum and have went elswhere for various reasons.. we have had some real good resource's leave us for another forum. and my question is why ??? i dont have all the answers but i feel that we as a group should take alook at the reasons and possibly change some things.. this was paid by me announcment and i and few others approve:D thanks for listening ////so register to vote and make your voice count!

Last edited:
Just so everyone knows, registration option is closed until the current Moderator election ends (see here). I agree with Larry that everyone should have a voice in this forum. So please register (after Oct 8th) and please do make suggestions (see the section called "Members Only - Forum Directions and Business"). Also, if you are registered and haven't voted, please do so.

Thanks,

well larry...........i ain`t mighty fine.........ain`t gone by the wayside either, allthough i have been kinda remiss in my postings....kinda had my plate full for the last several months and probably will for the next several.....:eek:

well larry...........i ain`t mighty fine.........ain`t gone by the wayside either, allthough i have been kinda remiss in my postings....kinda had my plate full for the last several months and probably will for the next several.....:eek:

Good post Larry.

I for one get a lot out of the site and continue to gain very helpful insight about all types of woodworking. I have a tiny bit of (hopefully constructive) criticism in that I have come across posts asking for help, and when offered, receive no thank you or follow up from the requester.

I'm sure we are all busy, but if someone takes the time to answer a call for assistance, we should each remember to offer thanks and let others know how the suggestions or help worked out.

Thanks!
yup you got a full plate tod and frank your right we need to thank those that offer helping hands, be it large or small.. that was one thing i learned in my up bringing is to appreciate others and there help when given. this country would be in worse shape than it is without those traditins..if we the family have anything to say we should do it, as long as we play by the rules doing so. criticism is what makes us all better if given in the proper dosages:) and the forum can get to points where it may need some at times as well.

yup you got a full plate tod and frank your right we need to thank those that offer helping hands, be it large or small.. that was one thing i learned in my up bringing is to appreciate others and there help when given. this country would be in worse shape than it is without those traditins..if we the family have anything to say we should do it, as long as we play by the rules doing so. criticism is what makes us all better if given in the proper dosages:) and the forum can get to points where it may need some at times as well.

Larry, all good points. I was brought up the same way, but I am guilty of not giving thanks when merited all the time. :eek:

You hit the nail on the head about criticism for all members and the forum itself. That's what got the whole thing started in the first place. :thumb:

I think we lost some people from boredom. There is a definite lack of woodworking talk on here. I go to another forum because I find more interesting woodworking talk on there. There seems to be a decent amount of talk in the turning forum but that doesn't interest me as much as it used too. I don't read those post all the time.

There is a family feel here and there is a lot off topic talk and I am not saying that is a problem. But I do feel there is a real absence of good in depth woodworking post. And I don't know what to do about. That's why I spend more time other forums than I do here. And I think we have lost some serious woodworkers because of that.

Good post Larry.

I for one get a lot out of the site and continue to gain very helpful insight about all types of woodworking. I have a tiny bit of (hopefully constructive) criticism in that I have come across posts asking for help, and when offered, receive no thank you or follow up from the requester.

I'm sure we are all busy, but if someone takes the time to answer a call for assistance, we should each remember to offer thanks and let others know how the suggestions or help worked out.

Thanks!
Frank, and everyone,

It occurred to me that I've been asking for a lot of help on the forum lately. I do always try to stay current with threads that I start and to answer/acknowledge any help offered. However, if I've missed anyone please understand it was not intentional and I truly appreciate any and all help, direction, or criticism I receive here.

Now, back to the original question - why are some leaving and what can the rest of us do to bring them back or keep others from going?

Just so everyone knows, registration option is closed until the current Moderator election ends (see here). I agree with Larry that everyone should have a voice in this forum. So please register (after Oct 8th) and please do make suggestions (see the section called "Members Only - Forum Directions and Business"). Also, if you are registered and haven't voted, please do so.

Thanks,

so how many are registered this time to vote darren?

rennie// i aint given away free wood fer no one rennie, you could give a them a free day of cleaning and rearragin your shop tho...:rofl:

you mean it isn't all about opining on when and how I should build/outfit/finish my shop? I realize my posts have slowed down again, but life has gotten busy offline... and I hate to say it, this isn't the only forum I post on. It Is the one I post on most frequently though. Just one of those things Larry, folks are going to do what they want, and posting here or not is up to them. Thanks for stepping up and saying something though, and for running for Moderator too!

rennie// i aint given away free wood fer no one rennie, you could give a them a free day of cleaning and rearragin your shop tho...:rofl:
Hey good buddy, don't get your beret in a tizzy. It wasn't my idea to give away free wood!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Now as for cleaning and rearranging - I suppose something could be worked out...... :D

207 of the 2,909 members have registered to vote (correct me if I'm wrong Vaughn). We currently have 1059 Active Members. Active members are those who have visited the site in the past 90 days.

So, as of this morning, only about a third of the registered voters have actually voted. Kind of a dismal turnout so far...

OTOH, regarding the slow post traffic, and perhaps loss of members - don't forget the Summer is when nearly all WW forums slow down. It's outdoor work time; vacation time; spend time with the kids time; etc. Boating, fishing, baseball, soccer, water skiing, gardening - you name it, we all do something that takes time away from woodworking - or talking about woodworking.

The farmers among us are especially busy, what with planting, tending and harvesting, calving, lambing, etc.

Things usually pick up appreciably once we're all 'wintered in.' Hopefully, that'll be the case once again in another month or so.

[curmudgeon mode on]
Somebody must have forgotten to send me the memo, because I didn't realize we had a posting quota here.
But hey, I spent 30+ years in the aerospace industry, so if need be, I can generate zero-content drivel at a truly frightening speed.
[curmudgeon mode off]

Seriously, people, sometimes one hobby takes a back seat to another.
And sometimes all the hobbies take a back seat to real life.

[curmudgeon mode on]
Somebody must have forgotten to send me the memo, because I didn't realize we had a posting quota here.
But hey, I spent 30+ years in the aerospace industry, so if need be, I can generate zero-content drivel at a truly frightening speed.
[curmudgeon mode off]

oh yeah..........it`s lee`s fault that posting has slowed:rolleyes:........

actually i kinda miss some of your more satirical outbursts lee so please cut loose......

Well said Lee.

I agree that helping others is fine and will do so where I am capable, but no matter how "family feeling" and helpful this forum is, we all do have real, non-virtual lives of our own, and I would hope that we let those lives be our focus rather than this virtual internet life.

Forum traffic will always be up and down. Content will change, be good, be poor, be something we want to read, and will not be of interest to us a lot of the time.

Take and give some good, say "thank you" and "you're welcome". Leave the rest and try to live more real life than virtual.

That's my take on it.

cheers eh?

John

IM glad noone said its the fault of the beginners or newcomers.
In my opinion, it's the beginners and the new guys that help keep the place fresh. One of the main purposes of this forum is to share information, and it's a lot easier to do with newbies, since the grizzled veterans often already have that information. A partially experienced guy like me has a lot of info to help a new guy, but not much new info to offer to the pros.

I do think some folks stay here a while, then decide to move on out of disagreements with how the place is run. (Too strict, not strict enough, no bad language, too much bad language, too moderated, not moderated enough, etc.) That's perfectly understandable, especially when you consider this place was started by a group of us who disagreed with how another forum was being run.

I know in other cases there are people who don't participate here because there are one or more other members here that they have had disagreements with on other forums.

thanks

207 of the 2,909 members have registered to vote (correct me if I'm wrong Vaughn). We currently have 1059 Active Members. Active members are those who have visited the site in the past 90 days.

thanks for the stats darren, will be intersting to see how total vote no. ends up. in the past it hasnt been real high.