Cordless Combo Kit

Rich Aldrich

I have been looking at cordless combo kits. What I really want is the cordless circular saw. However, by the time you buy one with batteries and a charger, you might as well buy a kit - it is like getting a drill for free:). I have been considering Ryobi, but I have read several bad reviews about power and battery problems. According to consumer reports, the DeWalt and Hitachi actually are very close to the corded models. I just want it for breaking down sheets of plywood and quick jobs without having to get an extention cord.

What are your experiences with cordless combo kits? Which ones are good? Which ones are not as good?

Rich, I bought the Ryobi combo kit a couple months back, but I've not used the circular saw, so I can't offer and feedback on that tool. I have used the reciprocating saw some, and it worked fine for my needs. The drill is a drill. I've got others that are better, but it does what it's supposed to do. I think it's a decent kit for an affordable price. If you can afford the better kits, you'll probably be happier with them. (I love my Hitachi drill and impact driver.)

The original battery charger died on me a few weeks ago, though. I exchanged it and the replacement is working fine. Time will tell if the first one was a fluke or not.

My C-man performed as expected. Pretty much died after about 6 months of occasional use. My buddy's Ryobi lasted almost as long. The DeWalt 28v gets good ratings but runs around $350.

If you want to be able to cut 3/4" sheet goods without a cord, I would skip the kit and get a good saw. Around the shop, I can drag a cord and save $200 and spend the rest on a good corded circ saw. That's just my experience.

the ryobi circular saw works. But I rarely use it since I find myself only getting 2 or 3 sheet cuts then it lacks power and I have to put in a fresh battery.
Im not to thrilled with too many of the cordless ryobi tools besides the drills and the recipricating saw which I use mainly for metal cutting.
(I only own ryobi cordless, so they get alot of work)

Whatever you get, first check out the battery styles. Get something that has batteries that can be recharged, or can recharge, other makes. The DeWalt charger will take several voltage ranges. Failure in these tools is almost invariably the batteries, not the tool. You will see many $100.00, or more expensive, cordless tools at garage sales for a couple bucks only because the batteries have failed and are not worth the price to replace.

If your just needing a saw I bought the dewalt on a reconditioned sight for $99 with a battery charger and the new batteries are $ 89 so for ten bucks you get a charger, saw and case