DIY Pen Press

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, My old pen press was based on one of those linear toggle clamps.

push_toggle.gif

With the pressure used to push together pen parts, it would flex and the front supports would sort of bend. It worked ok, but I thought I could do better. It didn't have all that much travel, so I had to readjust the stop block position pretty frequently.

So after about 1.5 hours and some shop scraps, This is what I came up with.

penpress.jpg

It's got about 4 inches of travel. The stop block adjusts by rotating it.

Seems to work pretty good...

Great idea! That is just awesome Brent. Going to have to look at making one when I do get into making pens. Almost started a while back and got sidetracked with "House" work. :)

Yeah, there's been some other stuff going on... ;)

No worries, just trying to keep the signal to noise ratio a little higher.

Once I finish up another cutting board, I've got a few more pics ready to post of boards and pens......

It appears there are 2 different grades of the linear toggle clamps.

The one you used appears to have a solid barrel welded to the base?

My previous version of my pen press used one with some bent metal pieces.

That led me to my frustration. :thumb:

I'm giving some though to doing a quick release on the end piece like you have, but I have enough travel on my press, I'm not sure I need to really adjust the 'anvil' all that much...

Plus, I got to use my lathe to turn a few parts for this :thumb:

Here's my toggle clamp version

It doesn't seem to bend or flex. I used an old DeStaCo clamp that had been laying around for a number of years. The t-track and knob were left over from another project, too. I like the long levers on Brent's and Stu's much better, and will modify mine accordingly.

Don

Attachments

• PA110001.JPG
    PA110001.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 70
Now that's a Serious looking toggle clamp!

I like the way you used the Ttrack there. That's one slick idea.

Hmmm, I think I might just have a short chunk laying around....

Ah, maybe I should just use mine the way it is for a few more pens before I rebuild it!:thumb:

Brent and Stu, both better than mine. I hate making stuff to do stuff but got tired of using clamps. 1/2 hour (helped I already had the bit in the router table) Not fancy but long enough to do other things like letter openers. The nut on the clamp makes it easy to sneak up on the the transmission press. Hated it when I would go a bit to far using the quick grip clamp :eek: The T Track was leftover and the clamp was a garage sale find for a couple bucks ( I new I would find a use for it someday ?)

Attachments

• DSCN0008.JPG
    DSCN0008.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN0009.JPG
    DSCN0009.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 39
Scott, Nice Jig!

And that's another one of those nice stout clamps. Wish I had one of those and I wouldn't have made mine