Chicken Dog

Paul Downes

I've heard of "egg suckin" dogs, well our new lab pup is a chicken stealin dog. My wife brought home a rotissory BBQ chicken for dinner and I grabbed a leg before heading out the door on an errand. When I got home I found out that the pup got let in the house and she made off with the rest of the bird. My 3 and 5 yr. olds let her in and out. She had the bird demolished in short order. It was up on a 3' tall counter and she must have jumped up and made the heist. When I called her she ran and hid so at least she seems to have a dog conscience. I think the boys are going to have to scrounge for dinner in the back yard. There are lots of ripe pears if they don't feel like chicken bones. :rofl:

If I remember right, might want to collect those chicken bones and keep them from the dog. Seems like I was told once they splinter and get stuck in their insides.

Yes, cooked bones will splinter and create problems, sometimes serious problems. Raw bones, we feed raw chicken to our dogs, don't have the same problem. Watch your pup for a few days to make sure there are no problems, and do pick up the bones left in the yard if you can find them. Jim.

And I thought my little lab pup was bad... :eek:

I think she's eaten 5 pairs of my shoes in the last 10 months...

I've learned (mostly) to keep them either on my feet or in the closet.

Last pair I managed to wear twice before she ate them....

Back before we were married, LOML brought her new rescue dog over to my house for a first visit to see how he got along with my dog. The new dog (Dakota) is tall (I'm 6' 2", and I don't have to bend to pet him).

LOML and I were sitting in the living room eating our dinner of beef ribs and fixin's, when Dakota came trotting into the room, grinning ear to ear, with a big beef rib sticking out of each side of his mouth. He was very proud of his new find, and was anxious to show it to us both. It's like he was saying "Hey guys! Check out this yummy stuff I found in the kitchen! These are great!" He gladly gave me the rib when I asked him for it, and I went in the kitchen and moved the platter of ribs a little farther from the edge of the counter. We were both laughing so hard, it didn't seem right to scold him.

Our cocker walked across my lap and took a big bit of ice cream cone one day. Very nonchalantly... kinda like she didn't plan it, just seized the moment. Never even broke stride. Tickled me so much I couldn't quit giggling.

Do toilet paper eating stories count? Or magazine/newspaper shredding stories? :doh:

Shoot, I contribute to this.

My mother and one of my brothers both had pit bulls. They were brothers. We went to lunch and left them inside the house (my mothers). When we came back, you instantly knew that they did something very bad. They would not look at you and kind of slinked along very low to the ground. We walked down the hall toward the living room and began to see evidence of foam rubber (upholstery foam) starting off as a trickle and becoming this mountain of it when we reached the living room. They had chewed up an entire couch. The couch which had started up against one wall was now in the center of the room.

We can laugh now, but at the time it was very depressing. Do you think dogs know they are doing something wrong? How else do explain their behavior when you walk in like that and they are slinking around and won't meet your eye?

Ages ago my girlfriend (now wife) had a dog.

We had lunch one day and then jumped into the hot tub with a pint on Haagen Daz ice cream.

The dog (Sandy) wanders into the sunroom as we are finishing the ice cream, so I let her lick the inside of the pint container.

We get out of the hot tub and go upstairs to dry off. As we pass thru the kitchen we see that Sandy had gotten onto the kitchen counter and eaten the remainder of our sliced ham.

We laughed and laughed - how can you punish her AFTER you give her desert?

My sister in law has a greyhound - it's so tall it can swipe stuff off the able with all 4 paws on the floor.

Cheers

Jim

Back when we had 2 black labs, well one was a duck dog and the other one twern't.

We went duck hunting, but had to take both of them in the camper.

At O-Dark Thirty we got up and took one dog hunting with us and left the other in the camper. (Hmm, can you say 'mistake').

When I went back at lunch time to check things out it was amazing. We did leave the dog in a dog crate in the camper. But she, my Xena, the Warrior princes managed to bust out of it. She also managed to tear every single blind off every window and take everything that was available to her and throw it on the floor. !:eek: It was a disaster area. Needless to say, we cut our day short.

We still haven't replaced the blinds, and I still miss that dang dog... I think all she thought was 'Where are they, where are they, don't they know I can help?'.

She wasn't mad at me when I came back and I tried really hard not to be mad at her...

I don't even get worked up when my new girl eats a pair of shoes or something. I just figure that's her job and I messed up by not giving her something else to do with her energy.

My first dog was added to the family when we moved to the country. It was a freebe lab/english pointer from a friend. We also aquired 3 ducks and a chicken house full of layers about the same time. "Tipsy" as we called her (daughter of whiskey) was of course a bird dog. She was constantly looking for opportunities to molest the birds. I finally borrowed a shock collar from the same fiend and let her get used to it for a few days. I then let some chickens out and got on the roof of the pole barn and waited for action. It wasn't long before she looked around and saw the coast looked clear. I waited for her to have her mouth almost on a chicken and let her have some electrical medicine. It took about 3 times before she figured out that those chickens were "lectrified".
That lasted about a year and I went out one morning and found 3 dead ducks on the lawn. When I called her she ran and hid. I did some reading and found a solution. I duct taped the 3 dead ducks around her head and left the necklace on her for 3-4 days. Every time she went to eat they were in her way. She could eat but it was not fun. I got tired of listening to her howl at night so I finally cut them off. Never bothered the domestic birds again. She was a great hunting dog and I had many memorable times in the field with her. She was also very adept at herding the neighbors loose pigs and cows back in their pens. Once we had a big sow get out and when we got the pig going in the right direction I hollered for Tipsy to "git"her and she latched onto the pigs tail and that pig turned on the afterburners for home.

How else do explain their behavior when you walk in like that and they are slinking around and won't meet your eye?

I absolutely believe they know right from wrong, and I don't buy the 'expert' declaration that dogs have no sense of time. I've watched mine too many times go out and line up on the porch waiting for mommy to get home... within 5 or 10 minutes of the 'normal time'. And if someone takes a day off in the middle of the week they sense the change in 'routine'.

I apologize in advance because this may seem cruel to some, but we had an issue with our dog chewing up a phone book and cook book (plus a slipper or two) early on in our relationship. :( We were working with an obedience training class at the time run by a kennel known for its ability to turn out some of the best trained canines in the state. Their recommendation sounded severe, but it worked first time and we have never had a problem since. In fact, we can leave food out on the coffee table (mouth height:)), leave the room for hours, and it is never even approached!

When the phone book incident occurred we took the binding of the book, about all that was left, stuck it between his jaws and taped his mouth tight around it. We used painters tape wrapped with the sticky side out. So, for about a half hour he walked around with the remains of the phone book hanging out of the sides of his mouth. From that point forward he has NEVER put his mouth on ANYTHING that we have not given him and he seems to have a keen sense as to what is a dog toy and what is not. The downside, I might never be able to train him to fetch the newspaper, but he will chase a Frisbee all day.:D

When former hubby worked graveyard shift, he would come home in the morning and take dinner out of the freezer to thaw during the day, so it would be ready to cook when I got home in the afternoon. One day, I asked him to take a package of pork chops out of the freezer. When I got home, I couldn't find the pork chops. A little sleuthing found one small piece of the tray--the dogs had eaten the entire package of chops - raw - paper and all!!

Cats can tell time too. Our old cat (may she rest in peace) would disappear during the day, but at 6:00 p.m. she would appear in the kitchen demanding her dinner. She also woke LOML up at 6:00 a.m. every morning demanding breakfast (even Saturday and Sunday). If we weren't home at 6:00 p.m. to give her dinner, she would give us bucketsful of grief when we finally got home!

Back in the 80s, we had a female Irish, Penny, that would eat anything and everything not nailed down.
We had 2 apricot trees that were grafted onto peach trunks. Really sweet apricots. I dearly love apricot fried pies, and my wife severely hates making them, so it was a treat when she would break down and make them for me. She called me one day at work, had made a dozen of them. So my mouth watered all afternoon about those pies. Before I got home, she took 4 of them to the neighbors. Jerry loved them almost as much as I did. She pushed the platter to the back of the stove, and walked next door for what was reported to be about 5 mminutes. When she got back, the platter was still in the same place....less all the fried pies.:( I found out when I got home, and all I could do was look Penny in the eye and tell her that she was going to pay for her deed when they made it through her system. Never had a problem. That dog had an iron stomach. I don't think Glenna has made any since then. Jim.

When Lexy our first rescue dog was up to 1 yr old she started to help us with demo work she tore up the carpet in the hallway & started on the linoleum. We guess it was cause she was lonely & maybe separation anxiety. Now we got Diamond our second rescue dog so far no chewing from her but she does on occasion do #2 in the house. she's doing a lot better now she's comfortable & feels safe here.