What would you do

A friend of mine (spelled...boss) borrowed my brand new Bostitch 18 gage brad nailer. He bought & shot a bunch of 16 gage brads through it and then returned it saying" I had to re-cock it before each shot" He also mentioned something about "sparks flying out of it" :eek:

I'm wondering how much damage was done (have not checked it out yet) But at best I assume it has been reamed out a bit. Anyone have any experience with shooting the wrong size brads???? Do you think is has been damaged?

Is now a good time to ask for a raise????:thumb:

Man, that's tough. I don't know if he damaged it, but, assuming instructions were given, you might have to tell him he just bought himself a ruined Bostich. Depends on your relationship with him. Hope it isn't damaged and you don't have to eat the loss.

i would try it out and if it doesnt work properly mention it to him, and ask him what he would do? put the shoe on his foot and see what a great wize boss man has to say.. not sure of the cost factor, but you need to look at what his attitude is ,, gettin fired over a 150 dollar gun aint worth it just learn yur lesson bud

I would check it out good, and if there is damage, or it doesn't operate like it should, with the CORRECT sized brads, I would explain to him the golden rule of tool lending. "I was kind enough to lend it to you, you broke it.......you bought it." Assuming he is a stand-up-kind-of-guy, I would think he would want to make it right. At least, I would hope he would! ;)

I agree with Larry. It depends on the character of the man. If your boss is a stand up guy, I would mention it to him. If he’s an intimidating jerk and the job market is weak, I’d consider it a “life lesson”.

Oh heck, chalk it up as a life lesson. Get a pack of the right size brads, wrap them and the nailer up and give them to him for Christmas. Maybe he'll catch on, maybe he won't. But you'll have given him the opportunity to address it in the most comfortable manner for him.

Personally, I wouldn't use it anymore but that's just me...it may work fine.

Guess I titled this post incorrectly....:dunno: My friend/boss is a stand up guy of the highest caliber, even when shooting brads, and will do the right thing. We just don't know if it's damaged. I just can't imagine that it didn't at least do some pre-mature wearage. :rolleyes: I was mostly just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with shooting the wrong size brads and the effect it had on the gun.

That being said I like Matt's idea. He may be getting a present from me this Christmas after all.:D