Oak limb HF

Brian Kight

I was working on a photo box/tent and and used an HF from an oak limb knot that I turned last weekend. The pictures from the set up aren't to my liking so back to the taping board I go for that. I'm posting the pics for the sake of finally putting something on here. It was kind of a diamond in the rough in that I thought it was going to be rotten inside the bark but was going to turn it because it was there. It actually looks like it is melted around the rim and only has about 2/3 of a foot because of a melted looking spot on the bottom but is very stable sitting. It is about 4.5" and has a bees and buff finish. Comments are welcome.:wave:

Attachments

• s6301338 small.jpg
    s6301338 small.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 54
  • s6301342 small.jpg
    s6301342 small.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 56
  • S6301351small.JPG
    S6301351small.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 67
Brian, I like this a lot. Lots of different things to see in the wood and the "melting" on top and bottom. Well Done. :thumb:

Thanks yall, my wife is always beatin me over the head to show my turnings. I figured I might as well get over my hangups and get some out here. I read so much from yall that I feel like I'm starting to know you, so it's a bit more comfortable to spread out a little.

Thanks Gari for the avatar comment. We all have our dart sets that we each picked out blanks for (some of us got two sets:thumb:). They are fun to do.

By all means, don't be shy. :) We've seen and turned 'em all...good, bad, and somewhere in the middle. Most of us won't find a harsher critic than ourselves. ;)

Brian - that is a very interesting hollow form! There are enough variations in the form that I wondered if it had been turned multi-axis! Pretty cool! Great looking wood and I love all the little intrusions! Sure adds a lot to the charactor of the piece! Nice work!

About being shy when posting - I found that once you become an active member and put your work out there for others to see and critique - you will grow both as a turner and as a member. We all have something to contribute but have to get over the shyness factor first!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

What kind of oak is that? I have never seen oak that looks like that. Maybe it looks different because it is a knot. Looks like some birch i have turned. Real pretty little piece.

Thanks Rich. It was just a piece of a limb that had a rotten limb nub being grown over with beetle runs all through it. I have a 5' long 12" across section of it's brother in my garage that I can barely move around. One day I'll get to whacking blanks out of it. I didn't ask what kind of oak it was (he probably wouldn't know anyway), maybe water oak. It has the chunky gnarly bark n it.