Box time

Jim Burr

I'd like to start my first box tomorrow. I don't really have any "junk wood" unless you count the stuff that gets thrown out 'cause it stunk. I was thinking of going to the big box for a 4x4. Pine, redwood??? Any ideas?

IMO, the best wood to practice on is maple or cherry followed by walnut then any other free wood that comes along your way.

You will be happier trying to turn boxes from some kind of hard wood. The very first piece of wood I ever chucked up to turn a box from was a piece of basswood and about one microsecond after I tried to hollow it I ripped out of the chuck. I had much better results with hard woods, the harder the better.

I agree with Mike and start with some hardwood. I tried to practice with pine to make a box figuring if I screwed up I wouldn't be out much and almost gave up trying to turn a box. Can be very frustrating. Get some maple, cherry or walnut and give it a go.

I agree about the hardwood. It has always been my philosophy to use good material (not your very best and beautiful) for first projects. If it turns out nice you don't have to kick yourself for using ugly wood. If it doesn't... well at least the wood is pretty.

Alan Betty has a video out about hand chasing threads in turned boxes...

In it he says the best wood for turning boxes is..............:D

:D
Box Wood :dunno:

It's an English thang! :rofl:

He said the way to get good at it (he was actually talking about chasing threads, but will work for boxes was well)... buy a ton of "Box Wood", lock yourself in your shop for a year and when you come out, you'll be an expert.:wave:

Chuck

There is a wood named boxwood. It is one of the few woods that is denser than water. In other words, it doesn't float. Chess Pieces where originally turned from boxwood with the black pieces being ebonized boxwood.

I would hazard to guess that boxwood got it's name because in centuries past it was considered the best wood for making boxes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buxus_sempervirens

As far as junkwood goes, I did make a pretty decent pencil cup out of 4x4 redwood. Probably wasn't ideal, but it worked!