Router Table Router and Lift

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, Just kind of thinking. I've got a decent dewalt router that I use in my router table. I can adjust the depth from the top of the table and it works ok for both the table and general routing, the problem being that it is my only decent router.

Since I finished my router table, I'm thinking of looking at getting a dedicated router and lift for the router table.

Just looking for any recommendations on combinations that work well for others.

Must have a 1/4" and 1/2" collet, soft start etc...

Thanks!

Brent, I have a Milwaukee's heavy-duty, 3-1/2 max hp fixed-base production router, model 5625-20 in a Woodpecker lift. If I was going to do it all over again, the same router is fine, but I would get it in this configuration: www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16977. All of the big routers are probably ok, I just like this setup because everything can be controlled (on/off and the speed) from the remote control box. This would only work with a lift of course. I am not familiar with the table you built and this may not be an option for you.

Here's the table I made.

http://www.familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11000

attachment.php

I think it can handle most anything. Obviously, if I replace the router plate, I may need to redo the top, but that's no big deal..

Interesting setup. Do you find that you need to adjust the speed very much?

Last edited:
Another vote for the 5625. Mine is in a Woodpecker PRL as well. Funny how such a large router motor can look so small in that massive lift. Its a locomotive. Smooth, powerful, premium feedback circuitry for consistency under load and soft-start.

As to variable speed; it is a necessity in a table router. You would not run a 3-3/8" raised panel bit at the same speed as a 1/2" pattern bit. With the PRL, the only reason I open the door under the table anymore is to unplug the motor for bit changes.

Ahhh, That makes sense. Those big swinging wide bits. I can see why you would want to slow the tip speed down...

Brent,

Another vote for the PRL. I've got a hitachi m12v in mine, with a power switch outside the cabinet that the router plugs into, because I'm so lazy I got tired of opening the door to unplug for bit changes... ;)

If I had to do it over again, I'd spring for a better router, but I put my money into a better fence instead...

Thanks,

Bill

I run an M12V in mine with No lift, (but I will probably add the ????? (can't think of the name of the mod kit to lift it) at a later date.

In the Router table I built and set up for my Buddy, we used an M12V and a Woodpecker lift and it works great.