Sketchup lockup... Odd.

Art Mulder

Doubt anyone can solve this, just thought I'd mention it.

I have a sketchup drawing that I created on my mac at home. (Google Sketchup 6 -- 6.4.245)

Today I loaded it on my WinXP box at work, which also has the latest free Google SU on it, and messed around with it a bit. I created a rectangle, used the "push/pull" tool to pull it into a board. Then I triple-clicked to select the entire object, and hit right-click and selected "Make component".

Locked up SU tighter than a drum. Totally non-responsive. Had to use the Task Manager to kill the program.

I wondered if there was some weird interaction with the component that I was editing. (I was adding a board to an existing component). So I unselected the component and just made the board elsewhere floating in space. Same behaviour. I did it 4-5 times just to see if there was anything else going on. Every time I would lock it up solid when I tried to make a component.

(Now I did have no trouble panning around the design, and I selected another component, edited it, and stretched it out, and did a "file-save-as". And all that worked fine.)

Just now I took the modified file, loaded up on my mac at home, and it worked just fine.

Weird.

...art

ps: Oh, and I've used SU on my work PC on a few other items with no problems.

I had this problem as my drawings grew in detail as I worked on them. I was tanking the video card memory. Once near the saturation point almost anything would cause the lockup. Next time it locks up do a quick check on your memory use. If your video card doesn't run its own RAM try giving yourself a little more virtual memory. I just added an extra 512Mb and haven't had a problem since but I am no expert.

Art, I think Glenn has some good thoughts on this. How big is the SketchUp file? Would you be interested in sending it to me so I can take a look at it?

Dave