Hollowing System Purchase

Tom Storey

I asked this question on another forum...hmmm not many responses. Maybe it is a tough question:) but I'll ask it again here. (I've read a bit about Randy's system, looks great, but I'd like some options)

"Looks like I'm going to need a deep hollowing system and I'm not very knowledgeable about them. I will want to hollow to about 14 - 18 inches on occasion. The lathe I'll use is a 26" swing General. I'd appreciate the names of a couple of systems, what they entail, ease of use and of course, given the current market situation, the approximate cost :eek: Thanks!"

Tom

Tom, I think any of the off-the-shelf rigs are going to be pretty stretched to the limit going 14" to 18". I think it's not so much a factor of the type (captured handle or articulating arm), but more to do with the diameter if the boring bar.

I have both the captured and the articulating Monster rigs, but with a 3/4" boring bar, it's getting pretty chattery at 12" deep. I see Jamieson has a 1 1/8" bar, and I suspect it could be fit to most any rig available. If I were in your shoes, I'd contact Randy at Monster and see what it'd take to get set up with an articulating arm and a 1" or bigger boring bar. That, I believe, would nicely do what you're looking for. A big lathe like yours deserves a big hollowing rig. ;)

Hi Tom!

You can make your own system fairly cheaply, and this would give you a good idea of what you might want to spend you hard earned money on, down the road.

>> HF Captured Rig <<

>> New Tips for the HF Rig <<

Just some of my monkeying around.

One other thought, is there a turning club nearby? If so, you could join up and see what some of the members have for hollowing rigs, you might even get a test ride on a couple, to give you a better idea of what you like etc.

I've not bought one, so I cannot really help you in that regard, sorry.

Stu :wave:

Tom I agree with Vaughn. I think most off the shelf stuff is going to be pushing it beyond it's limits. I have seen several homemade versions of hand held units with 1 1/2" or bigger boring bars but never in a unit sold at the woodturning places.

Ton my dad has made a couple of them for his 16" lathe and I now use the capture rig....your can save some $$ if you have the ability to do this and have some fun in the process too.

>>>>Link to pics<<<<<

Here is also a PDF of the "steel snake" he made.

Methinks homemade or custom made will be necessary. I dunno if 1 1/2" is necessary. (not questioning, just really dunno :dunno: ) But, it is something to consider. I'm recalling a video of a set-up by an exotic wood exporter where one of his employees made big, real big, vases on a cobbled together rig. Watching that would be a big help in understanding what you might need for such a project. If the exporter comes to mind I'll post.

My son Jeff posted the links to my version of the steel snake. I have made several modifications since the original build. I will try to get the information together and post it on my web site and here. If you would want more information, feel free to e-mail me. :wave:

I asked this question on another forum...hmmm not many responses. Maybe it is a tough question:) but I'll ask it again here. (I've read a bit about Randy's system, looks great, but I'd like some options)

"Looks like I'm going to need a deep hollowing system and I'm not very knowledgeable about them. I will want to hollow to about 14 - 18 inches on occasion. The lathe I'll use is a 26" swing General. I'd appreciate the names of a couple of systems, what they entail, ease of use and of course, given the current market situation, the approximate cost :eek: Thanks!"

Tom
Tom,
You might look at Don Pencil's hollowing system... it's pretty reasonably priced and if you buy his seconds and blemishes - I don't know what was blemished on the one I got, but it works well for me.

http://www.donpencil.com/index.htm