CRUD!! Now how do you fix that??

Jeff Horton

Glued up my doors for the TV cabinet last night. This morning I went down and somehow I got my book matched panels mismatched. Why I didn't look at them when I with finished I don't know! :doh:

After kicking myself I wondered how to fix them. I reversed a clamp, applied pressure and nothing moved. The titebond was tightly bonded! Then I remember something I read heat would soften the joint! Grabbed my $8 Harbor Freight heat gun and started cooking that joint and leaving the pressure on with the clamp.

101_4884.JPG 101_4885.JPG

It took a while but I started to see a crack in the joint an finally it opened up!

Here is the before and after with the panels in the right order!

101_4886.JPG 101_4887.JPG

Really didn't expect this to work but was I ever glad it did!! Might want to keep this in mind just in case.

DOH! I sure could of use this tip a few weeks ago when I glued on some face frame and forgot to route a groove in the bevel of it so that it would match the previous piece I made.

Of course, I've convinced myself now that it looks better without the groove :)

How long do you suppose you could wait to do this? Would it not work after 24 hours, 48 hours?

Thanks Jeff for a really useful post. I will definitely store this one away. Send it in to the magazines as a tool tip. You might win a tool with this one. I bet many people would like to know this.

By the way which of the Titebonds were you using?

Wow, Jeff, great save! I never would have thought of that...I think I would have turned to alcohol instead... you know, like, three rusty nails help a lot when I mess something up... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Good question since this was only 12-18 hours latter. That may have a big difference in it? I just just dreading making new door with all those M&T joints, the dado's. That was a lot of work! Of course the smart thing was never make the mistake!

I had them all laid out and since I flipped the last two all I can say is I was consistent! Still don't know why I didn't look at it when I was done though.

another tip to add..

jeff hindsight is always better than foresight but when your doing somehting like this again use some painters tape on your panels to distiguish which side up and where they go.. on my blotchy cherry box,, ihad to d that or i would have the grian going all differnt directions.. good safe on the heat gun:thumb:

That is a great save, and a good idea to send it in to a "Tool Tip" magazine thing :thumb:

I'll be that if you had waited longer it would not have been as easy, but who knows :dunno: Heat is the one thing that makes CA (Crazy) glue let go.

Sure is going to be a nice door :D

Cheers!

Crud is the substance that builds up on a saw blades (purely a woodoworking term) My question is which of the glues did you use that was softened by heat? Perhaps the heat brought to surface the moisture in the joint which released the glue. But most glues cure by heat, or warm dry air.

Great save, Jeff. I'll have to file that one in the little box o' tricks.

Like Bill, I'm a bit curious why it worked. Hide glue, I could understand, but I didn't realize Titebond would loosen under heat. Cool trick, nonetheless. :thumb: