any woodcarvers?

I've done some as well, but not sure if it's gallery grade yet (web gallery). :)

Took a couple of classes, both have been very good and learned different things from each.

How long have you been carving?

Been there done that but carpel tunnel has restricted my movements Rather I would would call my work Whittling as it is hand held. Have done some KY Longrifles in my other life as well as lots of jewelry popular back in the 70s.

Welcome Dawn, :wave: again, what do you have in mind? :dunno:

just wondering there are any fellow wood carvers on this forum???? :dunno::dunno:

Well... Here you have a wannabe one trying to get rid of the "wannabe".

In fact I believe that they are somewhat scarce here. Quite a while ago I posted some pics of a penguin I carved but I can't make the search engine work to put the proper link.

I recall the help of an indulgent moderator to find it and include it here if you'll like to see it.

Do you do any woodcarving at all Dawn?

I've done a couple things, but nothing photo-worthy yet. FWIW, I just got the recently released book "Decorative Woodcarving: Accessories for the Home" by Fred Wilbur yesterday and it looks pretty good for the kind of carving I'm interested in.

Well... Here you have a wannabe one trying to get rid of the "wannabe".

In fact I believe that they are somewhat scarce here. Quite a while ago I posted some pics of a penguin I carved but I can't make the search engine work to put the proper link.

I recall the help of an indulgent moderator to find it and include it here if you'll like to see it.

Do you do any woodcarving at all Dawn?

Toni, your beautiful penguin and many other carvings are in this thread.

While the subject is being discussed. Mebbe a new area on FW for carvers...
So far, we've not really seen the traffic levels to warrant another separate forum. If the interest increases, it could be done. Keep in mind that last we checked, most of the members were against adding more forums.

I do a bit of furniture carving - but no 3D carving. Here's a carved fan (early American style) that I carved the other day as a sample for a class I'm teaching this Sunday.

I'm going to do one or more fans in different styles just to show the students but this is the one they'll carve. It's a fairly easy project to carve.

Mike

[Here's a second carved fan that I just completed - see attached pix.]

Attachments

• Carved-fan-1.jpg
    Carved-fan-1.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Carved-fan-3.jpg
    Carved-fan-3.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Nice Work Mike.

My extent to carving is what could best be described as 'outsider art' :huh:

Basically, when we go on camping trips, I take some basswood and a little pocket flextool carving kit and I spend some time sitting down, not looking at a computer, whittling crude little carvings meant to be used as a momento of the places we camp.

For example, when we camped in Rachel, Nevada (Just north of the infamous Area 51) I carved an alien head and a little space ship.

Sometimes I whittle little fish, or birds. Sometimes I leave them at the place for others to find and admire (laugh at :D)...

Here are my two attempts. The first is a welcome sign. The instructor had us use a router with a spiral bit to cut out the various layers.

The second is a two piece that I'm still working on an american flag for the background.

Attachments

• IMG00235.jpg
    IMG00235.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG00238.jpg
    IMG00238.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG00240.jpg
    IMG00240.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG00241.jpg
    IMG00241.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 12
working on a Santa ornament for my mom and not sure how to get some of the detail work a little more defined my husband suggested rasps not sure i'm very new at this and have only taken a couple classes a few years a ago and now trying to relearn it

working on a Santa ornament for my mom and not sure how to get some of the detail work a little more defined my husband suggested rasps not sure i'm very new at this and have only taken a couple classes a few years a ago and now trying to relearn it

What kind of wood are you using for the ornament?

you achieve the cleanest lines right off the knife......sanding "blends" or burnishes the edges.