Anyone here like watching the dog shows?

Bart Leetch

The LOML & I really enjoy seeing all the different breeds of dogs & listening to the comments about them. We are watching the dog show in Houston right now.

I have pretty much picked out the next breed of dog I want either the Cardigan Welsh Corgi or the Pembroke Welsh Corgi I like the size & what I read about their temperament.

My big dog does. He gets impatient when the commercials come on. But my healer couldn't care less. She likes the cat shows. I just have to read or something until the show is over.

I do enjoy the movie 'Best in Show'.

Some of my dogs (labrador retrievers) have really enjoyed watching tv shows that showed dogs hunting ducks. Go figure?

I've been a hardcore lab owner for quite a while, but have recently started to entertain the idea of other breeds.

Especially since we recently became cat owners. (Previously, not cat people). On a camping trip, I heard a little 'meow' from a dumpster at a boat ramp. Once I opened the dumpster, well, I couldn't condemn the little guy to die, so he came home with us. His only problem is that he's a cat that thinks he's a labrador retriever.... We treated him the same way we treat our dogs.

Want proof? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggzk5ZRM6rg Here he is taking on my little yellow lab pup. Tough Kitty....

Guess I got a little off topic. Yes, I like the dog shows, and I am thinking about getting something other than a lab for my next dog, but for some reason, I think it will be rescue type of dog. I can't handly puppies anymore :D

Brent, that video's too cool. They both look like they're having a great time. The video is definitely on the "show it to LOML" list. She'll love it.

I'm a rescue dog fan. :)

Brent,
That's one tough kitty she got your Lab in a headlock & went for the pin.:rofl:

I also am a rescue dog lover. We had Panda a Chow / collie mix she was all black & when she snarled all you saw was her pearly whites she looked like Cerebus.:D We had her 17 yrs until she died.

Now we got Lexy a Shepard/Lab mix we've had her for 3 yrs & now Diamond another Shepard/Lab. I like the fact that mix breeds have better temperment & less health issues then pure breeds.

Yes, we watch the one called It's me or the Dog, Learn some things about training. Our Yorkie had pups this past July and its a riot watching them. We also saw the new show that was on called Greatest American Dog. A Boxer won. We had our Yorkie for a while now, had larger Dogs in past, will only have small dogs now, lower up keep, easier to maintain or take with.

Bill:D

I do sometimes.

If I come across a dog show while channel surfing I often stop and watch. I really enjoy seeing all the various breeds in the different categories. The best part is the commentary about how the breed was developed and the history. Sometimes you even get to see the dogs at home in a more normal environment.

Brent-thanks very much for that great video. That is one lucky cat ! You have no idea how much I needed a good chuckle at this very moment. Your dog seems to be having a good time too:D

Oh yeah, those 2 go at it all the time. I see this little show go on several times a day. It always cracks me up...

I am not a dog person. No one in my family is a dog person. Infact my wife is really afraid of dogs (she was once bitten by a dog). But, I do enjoy watching dog shows and wild life shows every once in a while.

"Best in Show" is one of my favorite movies.

Brent, that youtube video was just too cute.

We do a couple times a year. Kinda fun and interesting. We ridicule some of the handlers trying to run and maintain dignity at the same time. Whatever, it is a refreshing break from Law and Order reruns.

Yeah, I saw a little of the Houston show last night. I saw a friend of ours showing her sled dog (forget which breed she has). We've shown there several times. About 10 years ago while walking Dalton through the vendor area, a guy from Animal Planet was wondering around shooting dogs to put on the air. Dalton got on for about 3 seconds when they aired the show.
The Houston summer Dog Show is the best dog show from a spectator's perspective in our area. Always lots of vendors there. If you've ever seen any of McCartney's caricatures of dogs, http://www.mccartneysdogs.com/ he is usually there and will do your dog for you. Used to be about 150.00 for an 11 X 17 original.
When we were showing Taz, we went to the Houston show. Her first. Talk about fun to watch. Glenna was showing her doing the down and back for the judge (diagonal across the ring), and Taz just was having too much fun, got her feet tangled up in the lead and flipped herself...landed upside down pawing at the leash. Judge had Glenna start over about 3 times and scolded her for not keeping that puppy under control. Glenna was laughing so hard at Taz, that she told the judge she'd rather Taz had fun so she wouldn't hate dog shows. Guess you can figure out where she finished in her class!:rofl:
One more story on my wife. We were showing Cory and Dalton, the ones we lost this summer, in Austin. The show site is an arena out in the boonies that has been converted to a minor league hockey arena. They had 4 X 8 sheets of 1" cementeous material on the ice, and the rings on top of that. Well, the difference in the air temp and the ice caused there to be some condensation on the rubber mat. Coming back to the judge on the down and back, Glenna' feet slipped out from under her as she was stopping. Landed flat on her back. The judge immediately came over and asked Cory if she was ok.:huh: Never did ask Glenna if she was hurt!!:rofl::rofl: Jim.