Timberstrand and Cube on the Bias

Keith Palmer

Well I finished bowls 2 and 3. I decided to go "footless in Tacoma" on the Timberstrand bowl. It is 10" wide and 3" tall. The second bowl was a whole new experience!

Last month at my local club we had a demo by Richard Steppic on "Cube on the Bias". He handed out some extra cubes for anyone who wanted to try it. I thought why not! This was the first time I had ever attempted to turn anything with wings (Keep those nuckles out of the way!!). I believe the cube was made up of Poplar, Cherry and Maple. It is 4.5" wide and 4" tall.

Both bowls are finished with walnut oil.

Hope you like them!
Keith

Attachments

• DSCN6489.JPG
    DSCN6489.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN6490.JPG
    DSCN6490.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN6491.JPG
    DSCN6491.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN6493.JPG
    DSCN6493.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN6486.JPG
    DSCN6486.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN6488.JPG
    DSCN6488.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 56
That cube is hyper-cool! But you can't post something like that without pointing us to a tutorial on how to do the glue-up! ;)

Thanks,

Bill
The cube was glued up when I got it, just a checkerboard pattern. I will take some mock up picks of the turning process when I get home tonight.

Great bowls, especially the Timberstrand. I really like that look.

The cube-on-a-bias bowl is cool but man, that pic is really misleading. It looks huge in the picture. Glad you glad the dimensions.

Cube on the Bias

Unfortunatley I am headed out of town so unable to get actual progress pics. Here are some mock up pics.

1. I made a drive chuck by using some 3/4" cherry and making the corner of a box. Once I glued and screwed the corner up, I turned a drive cone out of maple and put the box on the lathe with the drive in the inside corner of the box. I knocked out the point of my live center and put the outside corner of the box in the cup. I then turned a tenon on the outside of the box for my chuck. Then mount the tenon in the chuck and true up the face of the box corner.

2. Now you can put a cube in the new cube drive chuck and the other corner in the cup of the live center.

3. As you turn the lathe on you will have essentially 6 spinning corners. Turn a tennon on the tailstock side and remove the 3 corners nearest the tenon.

4. Now mount the cube tenon in the scroll chuck and finish shaping the outside and inside

After I finished my chuck I found an article online about on the bias and you could omit the box drive chuck. Just put one corner in the Morse taper of your drive shaft, and the other in the cup of your live center. The corner drive chuck will reduce any slippage and continual adjustments to your tailstock.

Attachments

• IMG_4369.JPG
    IMG_4369.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4362.JPG
    IMG_4362.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4361.JPG
    IMG_4361.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4365.JPG
    IMG_4365.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4368.JPG
    IMG_4368.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4367.JPG
    IMG_4367.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4371.JPG
    IMG_4371.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 19
Great job on both pieces, Keith. :clap: I like them both a lot...I'd say the Timberstrand is my favorite of the two. I like it footless. Thanks for the cube turning pics, too. It gives me some neat rainy day ideas.

Great job on both pieces, Keith. :clap: I like them both a lot...I'd say the Timberstrand is my favorite of the two. I like it footless. Thanks for the cube turning pics, too. It gives me some neat rainy day ideas.

I'm sticking to pens for now... (no chuck yet...), but I like them both. The cube on a bias looks way to intense for me at this stage, but fascinating to see how it was done!

and Vaughn.... 'oh it never rains in Southern, Californial...' what rainy day?