bradford pear bowl

heres a couple pics of my latest bowl. it's like the thrid one i've done. it's made from a bradford pear we took down at the job site to make room for a swimming pool. i alway hear that the root ball has some of the best grain, so i thought i'd cut out a piece and give it a try. not knowing what i was getting into, this is some hard wood and even though i let it sit in dna for 48 hours, and then wraped it in paper,let it dry for three weeks it still warped like no bodys business. i know there not the best pics but some day the wife will get a new camera:doh: thanks for looking and please tell me what i can do better, as i know i 100% rookie.
Steve

Attachments

• 007 [800x600].JPG
    007 [800x600].JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 002 [800x600].JPG
    002 [800x600].JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 003 [800x600].JPG
    003 [800x600].JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 006 [800x600].JPG
    006 [800x600].JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 44
Nice job on the bowl Steve, especially for your third one. :thumb: Very pretty wood - and I agree with the bit about it being hard stuff when it's dry.

Beautiful wood and nice call on saving the wood for something other than personal warmth :rofl: From one rookie to another, I would like to see bigger/closer pictures with the picture focused better; these eyes are old but not dead (kinda like Terry Hatcher in HD). It looks like a great example of what you can do and a great chunck of wood to do it with. :clap:

I picked up some Bradford Pear a couple of weeks back... one piece is about 12 or 13" diameter x about 15" long... haven't done anything with it other than paint the ends ... as soon as a finish my remodel job on the master bath, I want to get into that... hope mine turns out as well as yours did.

thanks guys. just woundering is it common for the root ball to warp as bad as this one did ? i left it about 3/8 inches thick, and when i took it out of the wrap i coun't get it completely round as it was just to warped. it is close but it's about 1/16 inches thich in most places.i didn't dare go any thiner as i was shore it would come apart.
Steve

I've turned a few pieces of various root balls, and I've seen them move a fair amount when drying. The one piece of regular ol' Bradford pear I've turned moved quite a bit on me too, so I suspect you might have gotten a double whammy.

Nice form, Steve! The only comment I have is that I don't think the foot quite fits with it. I'd either turn it away or make it a bit bigger to complement the base of the bowl.

I've worked with pear several times in the past, and it does tend to move a lot. I think all fruit woods share that characteristic.

-Joe