SawStop Delivered.

Bartee Lamar

Well, after 3 years of waiting and planning, it is here.

IMG_2939.jpg

My wife and I have committed to no debt so it took me a while to get here.

I purchased my saw from the local Woodcraft store. They have a new owner who is really trying to improve the store so I do not mind supporting him. Oh yes, the store is moving with in 1/2 mile of my house.

So I purchased a standard setup. 3HP - 52" - T-Glide Industrial - Cabinet saw. I did get the newer SawStop mobile base. Very expensive, but like the rest of the saw very good and over engineered.

I paid to have the saw delievered to my garage. They would not deliever to my basement.

IMG_2940.jpg IMG_2941.jpg

They bring this on a pickup truck with using ramps and a furniture mover hand truck.

It is very well packaged.

I did move everything to the basement to check it out and of course I had to get a look at the new stuff.

IMG_2952.jpg IMG_2950.jpg IMG_2953.jpg

Next, I will post the moving party. I think it will be pretty easy. 3 guys and an appliance mover hand truck..

Also, I have to sell the old saw. link Someone is going to get a very good deal. This will have to go to a local purchaser ( Atlanta Metro ). It's kinda of sad letting this go. I put a lot of hours ( and enjoyment ) into that base. It has been an excellent setup. It does have it problems and it's time to move on.

Then I am ready to start installing... I have 10g running from panel to wall plug, so I figured why not 10g to saw.

IMG_2954.jpg IMG_2956.jpg

Oh yea, did I mention I decided to go for the Jess-em slider.. I really hate to have to cut those beautiful rails, but I think this will be an execellent setup. I am seeing the Jess-em slider in several of the magazine articles when the TS gets shown in pictures.

IMG_2957.jpg

Most all of the pictures are posted, but here is the link to the album.

With the attention to detail you had on the cabinet for your old saw, I can only imagine what you can do with this new one!

Congrats!

Congrats, Bartee. :thumb: That'll make a nice centerpiece to your shop. If I had my choice of cabinet saws, that's what I'd be looking at. (LOML would be all for the idea, too. She loves the hot dog saw.)

Bartee, I'd hate to cut the rails also. Can you move them to the right? It would give you extra extension to the right of the blade IF you have the room for it. You'd have to build a new, or add on to the existing extension table, but it would be a win/win situation that way, and it could always be reconfigured back to the original set up if desired. Jim.

Dang, Bartee! That's one heck of a step up! Vile Envy didn't actually enter my soul, but it's chomping pretty hard around the edges! ;)

I promise you, the minute you cut the rails, you'll figure out a way to set things up so you didn't have to cut them! Don't ask me how I know! ;)

Anyway, can't wait to see how you'll get it to the basement, and I'm looking forward to seeing the setup! Congrats!

Thanks,

Bill

theres just something!

about an agua vella man oops wrong story the fresh clean smell of a new tool settin in your shop:thumb::D and for some reason the tablesaws always seem to reign as king of the shop... nice saw and i would cringe on cuttin the rails? will that infringe on your warranty???might want to ask that bartee before the sawsall comes into play?????

Can you move the rails over to the right? It might involve drilling a few new holes in the angle irons, but it'd be better than having to cut them. I've done that to a Biesemeier, and also to a Shop Fox Biese clone, and all I had to do was put on a new measuring tape and enjoy the additional rip capacity.

Doing that will diminish/eliminate using the fence to the left of the blade though. That's never really been a problem for me, but YMMV.

As an addendum to Jim D's and my posts, (I forgot about not using the left CI extension with a slider), mount that on the right and you might not need to redo the extension table. Might not have to drill many if any holes either if the mounting holes are uniform distance apart. They could match up at close to the right place. I'd rather notch the angle iron for the miter slot if needed. Jim.

Those are really well made machines even without the safety feature factored in. That is one of the few commercial mobile bases I've seen that actually looks like it can do what it is supposed to. Congrats on a great purchase.

Bartee,

Well done! I have the same saw and love it. I bought it over a year ago and have no complaints. I look forward to pictures of your setup and possibly of the process to install the slider. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

As a side note, I do some demos at the local Woodcraft when they are showing how the Saw Stop work with a hot dog. I was setting up for the demo last Saturday when the manager of the store told me a story about their Saw Stop saving his finger. The manager was cutting some wood on the Saw Stop and had noticed some policemen in the parking lot (plate glass from floor to ceiling). Just when the manager was making a cut on a piece of wood one of the policemen banged on the window trying to get the manager's attention. Man did it get his attention! The banging startled the manager and you guessed it. His finger got into the blade's path. The manager described the contact with the blade as "taking his hand and slamming it against the table." His finger didn't even need a bandage. Pretty impressive save. I'm sure all of us have been startled at the wrong time, even if we haven't been injured because of it.

Sorry for any hijack!

Congratulations Bartee that is fine machine. This is what happens when a company produces a compelling offering and does a real good job of it.:thumb:

You beat Stu to it. Now it is up to STU in Japan to get the MIL to open the bank and order his. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Guess she is waiting for the Aparto to be finished first.;)

Bartee, opening up this thread again, I have a question, in the pic with the saw on the back of the pickup, is the saw right on the base of the pallet?

How tall about, is the pallet?

How much taller than the saw was the crate over it that you guys are lifting off the saw?

I'm most likely going to go to Yokohama and pick up the saw, as they want $760 to ship it from Yokohama to my house in Tokyo :eek: The shipping from Canada to Yokohama was only $624 :rolleyes: (the brokerage fees, taxes and duties are not included in that price).

I figure even if I have to rent a truck ($100 for the day) pay tolls and gas for the rental truck (maybe another $100) I'm still way ahead, and, I can control when the saw is arriving, delivery time. I want to back the truck in to my parking where I have a hook in the ceiling, to get the saw off the back of the truck, and I need to know, about, the total height of the saw on the pallet.

Cheers!

stu,
figure 4ft.........it`ll be less.
and nope i`ve never even seen a sawstop packaged up, i`m just guessing;)

Thanks Tod.

At 4' I should be good to go,the truck bed is maybe 3 feet off the ground, and I have a good 8' of headroom to the hook in the ceiling.

Cheers!:wave: