Drill Press

Karl Laustrup

Something on my "want" list has been a drill press to replace the little 12" bench top Ryobi I have. Well, I found one that I think will meet my needs and expectations. :thumb:

It's not mine yet, but if I can get the current owner to agree to a fair price I'll be able to do fantastic DP work.

Here's a pic of the DP with another pic of the bits that would go with it.

Drill Press 2.jpg IMG_1134 (512 x 768).jpg

So what do you guys think??? I started at $20 bucks complete. He countered with some big number I can't even comprehend. :dunno: :bonkers:

I think my next offer will be $45 bucks. :) Don't think I can go over about $75 though. :eek: ;)

Well, I guess you guys know that this is all a little weekend levity on my part. :rofl: For the record that thing would fill up my whole garage. :doh: :D After I took the roof off. :eek:

Enjoy the weekend.

Karl

Last edited:
holy cow! i want it!.....that`s cool karl......so is this something you`re seriously considering trying to fit in your shop? i don`t know if my floor would even support that monster, i`m bettin` it tips the scales at 5+tons!

Here's the story on that monster.

I finally got my Shelix head for the X-31 last Tuesday. Now I had to find a place to remove the carriers, bearings and pulley from the old head and put them on the new Shelix head. These are all pressed on and I didn't have any way to remove/replace them.

An aqaintance suggested a place not far [less than 2 miles] that could do the work. Not sure what all they do there, but they got a lot of big machines. The only one that I could recognize was what I thought looked like a drill press. My suspicions were confirmed by Terry, the lead machinest.

When I picked up the head yesterday [Friday] I asked Terry if it would be OK to take a couple of pics of the DP. I never got to see that beast in action, but I sure would like to.

Jesse, if he did take me up on my offer, I'm not sure what I'd do after I cleaned out my underwear. Probably call Tod. :D

Alan, me thinks that if I put it on my 4" thick garage floor I would end up with a new basement under the garage. :eek:

Cecil, I was hoping I could pull it with my 345 JD with my 15 cu.' trailer. :thumb: :D

Tod, I just thought I'd have a little fun with you guys. How come us guys just go weird over big machinery like this? I didn't measure this thing, but I'm guessing around 15' long by about 8' wide. Height was somewhere around 15' I think.

Karl

I have seen a few Radial Drill presses in my day, but that tis biggest one I have seen yet!

Kind of reminds me of this little one man machine shop near me. I stopped in one day to see if he would do something for me. Since I worked with machinists for years we got to talking. It came up that I like to restore old machines. Next thing I know he is trying to give me this huge old Leblond metal lathe. He just wanted it out of his shop! I had to pass on that one.

Tod, I just thought I'd have a little fun with you guys. How come us guys just go weird over big machinery like this?

Karl

karl, i really have no need or space for that monster....but if the guy was giving it away for a coupla hundred i`d make room:rolleyes: ....it`s not goin` nuts.......i don`t think?.....it`s just that big ol` tools that a mortal can`t break really appeal to me....the guy who can screw up a crow bar in a sandbox....if that thing`s maintained it`ll probably live another century and still be accurate.....tod

Karl, The pic is awfully dark but it looks like a serious industrial radial DP. I worked in a shop that had a Kerney-Trecker about that size. Those drills alone are worth big bucks!
Did you happen to catch the name on it?