My B.O.R.K.

Aaron Beaver

Hello there, just thought some of you might like to see this. Well here it is, just like the new big boys, take a gander at the photos below.

As you can see all looks normal
BORK012-1.jpg

...but wait....
BORK013-1.jpg

well lets go farther....
BORK014-2.jpg

and now the finish....
BORK016-1.jpg

This is a new product that Bob (which I will direct over to these forums) has made for his Grizzly 1023 (i believe). Since the saws are so closely matched he let my purchase one for my saw with a 100% money back guarantee, so I thought what's the harm as I always wanted a riving knife. I know this might sound like a commercial but I have NO affiliation with this product and didn't meet Bob until I saw this product.

Also I didn't have a ZCI for a 45° cut or a wide mouth that would house the riving knife so that is why there is not any insert in the last picture.
Also in the last picture you can see the cuts in the BORK at the top, this is to allow you to bent the "fins" to match the kerf of the blade, as is its made for thin kerf blades when I use full kerf, but I am not sure I will need to bend them anyway.

Enjoy.
(i do have some installation pics, just haven't got them situated yet)

Last edited:
Aaron, this is so very cool, I hope that you would post it here too.

I hope that Bob comes over here too, as I'm sure that there will be interest.

Cheers!

Very cool. I don't know how adaptable that is across machines but no matter. There are a lot of Uni owners out there and even if it only benefits them it is way-cool. If it can be adapted, all the better ;-)

Aaron, this is so very cool, I hope that you would post it here too.

I hope that Bob comes over here too, as I'm sure that there will be interest.

Cheers!

I will send him over, in case there are any questions I can't answer

Very cool. I don't know how adaptable that is across machines but no matter. There are a lot of Uni owners out there and even if it only benefits them it is way-cool. If it can be adapted, all the better ;-)

He designed it for a Grizzly but since they are close it worked out well. In the installation pics (i will post later) he sent a hose clamp to hold the bracket which he used, but on my saw the hose clamp wouldn't work, but eh U-Bolt he sent worked fine. I think its very adaptable to many types of saw but he might be able to elaborate.

He has a couple of pictures that I can't seem to get to from the link you provided, but that is it. Maybe when he gets here he can post a link to those, I might be able to find them first, have to take a look at my emails.

Here I am. Thanks Aaron and thank you Stuart for the welcoming email and getting me set up to visit. I think Aaron meant to say we are NOT affiliated, but when I go national I may want him as my sales manager :rofl:

Long story short, I'm a "winding down" remodeler (bad back) who got interested in woodworking because of restoration and duplication work I did in older houses. I kinda specialized in those.

The biggest reason I spent a yr. developing the BORK was that I was told it couldn't be done. It ain't perfect because pre-riving knife saws don't work the same, but I find it very convenient.

I will be happy to answer questions.

Oh, the website and e-store don't tell you this, but if you buy from the store (paypal only) enter Woodnet in the coupon code box for 20% off. All prices include shipping.

More photos: go to my site, click on Online store and scroll down to the BORK photos. Click on any to start a slide show.

Forgot (get used to it). I make these for Grizzly 1023's, Shop Fox clones, post '55 Uni's (R & L tilt) and the Craftsman and Steel City hybrids.

I don't know about the older Uni's because I haven't seen one. If the arbor brackets are the same, it should work.

The biggest reason I spent a yr. developing the BORK was that I was told it couldn't be done. It ain't perfect because pre-riving knife saws don't work the same, but I find it very convenient.

It looks pretty darn good. Just curious though, what is the biggest difference between a saw 'built' for a riving knive and this? It looks like it duplicates the ability pretty darn closely...

[edited]

... Ahh, I think I see. The splitter on my table saw just 'sits' at the same height. doesn't go up or down. You've managed to engineer this thing to do just that...

Last edited:
The arbor bracket on a true RK saw travel up and down in a straight line.

Most of our saws travel in an arc. The radius of this arc in greater the farther you get from the center of the arbor shaft. Therefore, my BORK splitter blade does not stay at the same height relative to the saw blade. For that reason, I had to make it height adjustable.

BORK-9-15-08001.jpg

Hmmm, I'm torn between the push pull splitter and the riving knife....

If I understand correctly, they both provide a similar function.

The splitter however requires that you adjust the height manually, the riving knife does this automatically.

So in actual use, the riving knife would most likely always be ready to go without any intervention. The splitter requires you to 'think' about using it.

I admit, I don't often use the splitter or guard on my saw. I always use some form of featherboard, or holddowns, ot a sled of some sort. That's kind of why I'm thinking about one of these...

Hmmm, I'm torn between the push pull splitter and the riving knife....

If I understand correctly, they both provide a similar function.

The splitter however requires that you adjust the height manually, the riving knife does this automatically.

So in actual use, the riving knife would most likely always be ready to go without any intervention. The splitter requires you to 'think' about using it.

I admit, I don't often use the splitter or guard on my saw. I always use some form of featherboard, or holddowns, ot a sled of some sort. That's kind of why I'm thinking about one of these...

Just remember the riving knife will tilt with the blade where the push/pull splitter he has does not. You are correct, I set the height of my splitter than if I an doing a non-through cut I don't have to touch it. If doing a full cut the riving knife will be above the wood.

Brent,

If it helps, my warranty is 100%. Don't like, don't want it, won't fit, wife got home before you did and opened it, whatever, send it back for a full refund.