New Turning w/ flat work

Don Baer

Staff member
Sometime ago I was contacted by a little old man and asked if I could make a piece that was missing from a clock he had. It was his mothers clock. All he had was a picture of the clock that didn't have much detail and some rough demensions of the piece. It was 3 1/2 Wide and the ray on the back was 1/2" thick. There was sketch on the back of the photo. I had to wing it on all other demensions.

DSCN0495.jpgDSCN0496.jpglastscan.jpg

This was an interesting project, and the first time I every turned anything to specific demensions also the first time I combined using my lathe with my skrollsaw. He didn't want it finished, said he would do that. So what do you think, I haven't figured out what to charge him. BTW there were 3 "prototypes" prior to getting to the finished product.

Thanks Don -

I played around with trying to draw the "teeth" rays in Sketchup - The half circle and push-pulls was easy. Maybe Dave wants to give us a quick tutorial on how to easily do the teeth!

Nice work, even if you did use cardboard for a pattern! :D

Neil

I think you nailed the shape, Don.

As far as what to charge, that's a tough one. For an old guy (especially someone that's old to you :rofl: ), I'd be tempted to cut him some slack and consider the value of the smile he'll have on his face when he see's his mom's clock looking like it used to. I'd say a lot depends on how well you know and like this gentleman.

Wow Don that looks really good, and after doing some Yo-yos where you got to keep both parts the same size, I hear you about working to exact dimensions, hard to do!

I agree with Vaughn about the "Charges" bit.

Nice work!

don, i`ve gotta rule in my shop on charges........family-n-friends are free....or full pop......no in-between....i`m either doing a favor or making a living.....if they can`t understand that then they ain`t much of a friend....and family????......nuff said;)

Just a final note, I delivered the piece last Saturday and the customer was delighted as was his wife. She told me that the reason why these clocks were painted black was that they were placed on the hearth and the black didn't show the soot. See you can learn from our elders. Here is the piece on the set on the clock.

DSCN0497.jpg

BTW, he paid me $50 for the work and we were both happy.