Vase w/collar a 1st

Jon Lanier

Yep, you guessed more Spalted Maple. This is my first ... what I would call a vase HF. With this I tried a collar out... don't know if I went through the best process of making one... but it came out okay. This is 5 1/2" high and 4 3/4" in diameter. I did much better in keeping the thickness this time at 1/4", but then again I wasn't fearing a blow out.

spmaplevasekt5.jpg

spmaplevase2xa6.jpg

spmaplevase3mp1.jpg

spmaplevase4dv7.jpg

Very nice HVaselikeF. I have yet to try an HF with a collar, some day soon hopefully. From what I am hearing I am behind on a salt box. Maybe I'll do one in my spalted sycamore so they'll quit hollerin about ALL your beautiful maple your putting out.:rofl:

Outstanding vase, Jon. Awesome wood, a great form and the collar really completes it. It sure didn't take you long to catch on to this hollowing stuff. :thumb:

How much of that stuff do you have? Hopefully enough for many more turnings :thumb: Nice job, nice turnings, nice wood.

Tom

Tom,

After giving away 4 pieces of 16 inched dia. or bigger.... I've still got about 20-30 blanks out in the back yard on a pallet under a tarp. And I still have about 5 pieces in the basement acclimating to the room temp.

-Jon