brass on the planes

larry merlau

ok whats the best way to clean the brass on the old planes? the adjusting wheels and the screw tops? also after they are cleaned up, what over coat is best ? spray then with some laquer or is there a better way to keep them lookin good?

:dunno:Years ago (1972) I joined what is known as ROTC...Reserve Officers something or other.....:huh::dunno: we used Brasso to clean our shiny brass buttons and belt buckles for inspection......does a great job cleaning :thumb:

No matter what I've used before to clean brass, it always ends becoming dull.
Lacquering brass parts delays a bit the process, but sometimes starts to peel off and the result is even worse because the piece has shiny spots and dull ones.

Eventually I just gave up and don't even bother, specially if we are talking about tools. I think that the patina due to use gives tools and many things certain character:dunno:

A buffing wheel and buffing compounds applies a light layer of way to the surface of the brass REDUCING tarnish, but of course time will kill it eventually. I cannot remember the color of the rouge to use...black perhaps? Vaughn can tell you better as I only use green and white but its on stainless steel and not brass.