Ridgid Hybrid with granite top

glenn bradley

The R4511 looks pretty interesting for folks starting. A $600 replacement for the TS3650/3660 machines that have served many people well.

From an article:

This model (R4511, $600) will replace the venerable TS3650/3660 contractor-style tablesaw, which earned Top Tool honors in our review of that category three years ago. The new model not only features 1¾-inch-thick granite on top, but it also has a closed base sitting on stubby legs. You’ll still get the Herc-U-Lift mobile base with it, but the rip capacity has been reduced from 36 inches to 30 on the right side, as well as 20 inches on the left (thanks to split fence rail design).

My hope is that this new saw will make quite a few TS3650/3660's pop up on craiglist soon after xmas when I will be in market for a new, slightly used, TS. :D I would hope for Home Depot's sake they get them in the stores before or just after thanksgiving weekend!

I've played around on the Steel City granite tops and they are great. No one gets mad when you put your cold drink on the top either! :)

But the problem with HD now is that they don't display the big tools. Who's going to get to see this thing?
With the granite top, I'm guessing Orion is making this for Ridgid? And being a granite top, I would also think that it would be cabinet mounted trunnions? Could be a killer saw in the price range it is at.
Or will HD market it as a meat slicer and put it back with their kitchen cabinets?? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Jim.

Looks like a great saw, Glenn.

Jeff, I don't know if a lot of 3650/3660 owners would trade in their saws for the improvements in the new one. Personally, I figure I'll keep my 3650 until I decide I need a cabinet saw, and even then, I'll probably keep my Ridgid if space allows.

Jeff, I don't know if a lot of 3650/3660 owners would trade in their saws for the improvements in the new one. Personally, I figure I'll keep my 3650 until I decide I need a cabinet saw, and even then, I'll probably keep my Ridgid if space allows.

Oh, I want one, real bad! When I got mine, I knew nothing about cast iron. I mean, seriously, nothing! Used to set my coffee cup down on the top! :p

And, believe it or not, my mitre slots are not parallel. There's a lot of stuff I've done simply because I had to pick one or the other to align the blade to. It's why I could never build a decent two rail sled. :doh:

It was months before I knew enough to figure out what the problem was. My first thought was to return the top. Of course, by then, I'd set my coffee cup down on it several times... :rofl:

Granite! Now, that's appealing! Of course, the odds of me getting that kind of money together any time soon are slim and none, and slim just left town... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Vaughn, I agree with you. I have the earlier 3612, and am wanting a cab saw badly. I will keep the 3612 and use as the outfeed table on the left end, and also to allow me to leave it set for daddos if need be. Of course, I would allow it to go away if I could get me a big honkin' MM slider.:thumb: :rofl: Jim.

yeah, what he said....

I love my 3650, and someday when I move and get my 'big' shop going, I'll keep this one as a dado machine when I finally step up to a cabinet saw.

pssst Vaughn, do you remember How to use the TS? Haven't seen anything flatwork related that you've built in a Long time... but then who am I to talk, eh?

I personally think the 30" rip width is getting really slim. It may be the "guy" in me just wanting the biggest I can get, but this would slow me down in a purchase decision.

This IS a big step for Rigid ( HD ) trying to attract the WW hobby market.

I personally think the 30" rip width is getting really slim. It may be the "guy" in me just wanting the biggest I can get, but this would slow me down in a purchase decision.

This IS a big step for Rigid ( HD ) trying to attract the WW hobby market.
I think I'd simply move the fence rails to the right another 10" to 15". (Or at least I would if I was not putting an aftermarket fence system like the Incra on it.)

Another development - as of today, H.D.'s website IS showing it as available - although still as "online only".

I, for one, am eagerly awaiting these showing up in-store at The Orange Borg™.

-Kevin in Indy
If it's like the other Ridgid tablesaws, I suspect the Borg will only display pictures in the store. All my local Home Depots stopped displaying most of the actual tools on the sales floor a year or so ago.

All my local Home Depots stopped displaying most of the actual tools on the sales floor a year or so ago.

Same out here for the most part. I don't see how those knuckleheads can be totally unaware of the Ridgid products that folks really like and would potentially buy more of if they could get their hands on them???

I think I'd simply move the fence rails to the right another 10" to 15". (Or at least I would if I was not putting an aftermarket fence system like the Incra on it.)

That's the ticket...they've put 20" of left rip capacity on a left tilt saw that's not likely to ever be used. Sliding the rail to the right is really simple. Not sure why they're not just doing it as a stock configuration...prolly the same reason they didn't show any faces on the fence! :dunno: :huh:

Ridgid Hybrid

While the new machine looks good I think it will be a while before I let go of my 3650. It has served me well for over 3 years,no problems and has been very accurate since day one.
I would like to add for the guys that have a rust problem. Try using an orbital sander with a 3m scrachie pad to clean it up.Do so lightly to avoid scratches. I also use pure talc (not talcum) to sprinkle on the top and have avoided a lot of moisture that way. I learned the hard way about using unvented propane heaters in my shop as they cause moisture. These ideas came from other woodworkers and have helped immensely.

Hey Howard, welcome to the Family! :wave:

Pure talc eh, I've not heard that one before, thanks!

BTW, I agree on the scrubby pad, it just works!

jointer_sanding1.jpg
That is what I did with the old jointer I bought, you can see the front table is done, the back one needs it. :D

Cheers!

Talc

For those that want to know. Talc will repel moisture. Cornstarch absorbs it.
Like I said previously, I got this from another source and I have found it to be very helpful.
Just another example of how we can help each other by passing along good info and tips.