SketchUp Question

Pete Simmons

I will be helping on a few home soffit replacements.

Is Skecthup good to draw a simple view from above of the soffits on a house or could I do it faster easier in Corel.

I just want a OK drawing so he can go buy the materiel. Nothing fancy.

Now remember I use Corel everyday for laser work and I have never seen sketchup.

1. is sketchup free?

2. is it a steep learning curve?

Yes, sketchup is free.

Yes, you can do what you want with it.

Yes, there is a learning curve, but it isn't nearly as steep as several other apps.

Will it be faster? Probably not for you since you're so used to Corel, i have to imagine. That's a tough one for us to really answer since it's so subject to personal style.

I'd hate for you to have a deadline looming and tainting your impression of SketchUp, though. Might be good to save learning it for a rainy day when you have no particular pressure. At least for me, if i had trouble trying to get a simple thing done and i didn't have the time to meander through it at a leisurely pace, i'd get frustrated by every hurdle and not look kindly on the software. :)

Jason has given you excellent information, Pete. I think you should learn SketchUp without a deadline. I'll help you out with learning SketchUp if you want.

Dave

Thread-jack, thread-jack . . . I am having a time trying to put a round over on a disc using 'follow me'. I actually want to end up with something like a doughnut (or a pineapple slice) with a roundover on the inside and outside edges.

I've done some tutorials including Dave's great one about a beveled stool seat but just can't seem to get a roundover. *** turn on sarcastic voice here *** Could it be there is something I don't know???

Thread

Glenn - Take the thread. I will stick with Corel for now. Maybe sometime when I can study it at a slow pace I will try Sketchup.

Dave - Thanks for the info. I looked at your tutorials - very interesting.

I actually want to end up with something like a doughnut (or a pineapple slice) with a roundover on the inside and outside edges.

In that case, I would just draw the section of the shape you're after and then follow-me around a circle. In fact, I believe dave has done a tutorial about something quite similar to a doughnut if memory serves. Ohhhh dave? :D

Jason, you've got it. I probably should have written something to indicate Glenn's question was answered. He and I spoke by phone about it shortly after he posted the question.