Honey Locust Crotch Hollow Form

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This is some honey locust I got from Chuck Beland in a wood swap. The prettiest piece of honey locust I've ever turned, it has some nice stuff going on in the grain. It's about 5 1/2" tall and 7" wide, finished with Antique Oil and 3-wheel buffed. This was some hard stuff once it dried, and I ended up leaving the walls a bit thicker than I wanted towards the bottom, since I was getting tired of fighting it. (Plus, I knew Chuck would have a fit if I blew up this piece.)

I went for something a bit different from my norm for the form...it's not perfect but I'm not too ashamed of it either. May not be your cup o' tea, but LOML really likes it.

HF048 - 01 800.jpg HF048 - 06 800.jpg HF048 - 02 800.jpg HF048 - 04 800.jpg HF048 - 03 800.jpg HF048 - 05 800.jpg

Comment are welcome as always -

Vaughn,

Great as usual and that wood is to die for. What did you swap for it ---- GOLD??? Even so, I think it was a fair trade!

You know, Vaughn. I spent all day yesterday explaining how hollow forms don't really have a practical application beyond just being beautiful and unusual. Most of those who were asking left my booth still not grasping the concept that it was purely art...even at an "art" festival. ;)

Somehow, though, I don't think anyone would confuse that Honey Locust piece with anything but art. It's gorgeous, the wood is absolutely spectacular and the form is, well, artistic. It is reminiscent to me of David Ellsworth's stuff.

Ya done good, dude. :thumb:

Those are fantastic Vaughn, however I got a question, and excuse my ignorance about turning.

Having that small opening for turning the inner void must be difficult even with the proper tools, and getting rid of the shavings even more because I think that they won't just fall out from it so easily, or so I think.

How do you manage that? Just stopping and blowing inside?

Vaughn you are talented. I watched a wood turning show on PBS last night and got to see for the first time how to turn a round ball. Yours is even hollowed and the choice of location for the hole in relation to the grain is excellent. Thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks for the nice compliments, all. This one got lots of good responses at a show today, but didn't find a buyer yet. I don't suspect it'll last long, though.
Those are fantastic Vaughn, however I got a question, and excuse my ignorance about turning.

Having that small opening for turning the inner void must be difficult even with the proper tools, and getting rid of the shavings even more because I think that they won't just fall out from it so easily, or so I think.

How do you manage that? Just stopping and blowing inside?
Toni, I use a blower nozzle on an air hose to blow out the chips. Every few minutes I stop the lathe, pull out the hollowing tool, and blow it out. It's messy. :D

Vaughn - I like it! Beautiful wood and finish! The form is very organic and reminds me of an onion! I was surprised to hear that this one didn't sell right away! Should of had Cody there explaining what hollow forms are all about - I'm sure that would have helped your sales big time!!

I really like the shape of this one, Vaughn!

I have been struggling with the shape of HFs lately. I would like to make an original form but I don't think there are many left. I did buy John Jordan's small hollowing tools and they are sweet!