Jewelry Box

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
This small two drawer box is made from air dried walnut and cherry. Hardware (knobs) is from Lee Valley. The design is an original. Hardest part was making and fitting the cherry cove molding.

Attachments

• box (768 x 576).jpg
    box (768 x 576).jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 124
there just something about coves and 45 degrees that seem to oppse each other in some way huhh! but once you get the combination right theres nothing purtier...when someone looks at the jewelry box the first thing they will see is the no gap miters jim.. looks kinda like aorental touch there the feet look intersting how was they done?

...when someone looks at the jewelry box the first thing they will see is the no gap miters jim.. looks kinda like aorental touch there the feet look intersting how was they done?

Yeah, it does look a little 'pagoda-ish.' The curved sides help add to that look, too.

The legs/feet are half inch walnut, cut on the scroll saw, with the corners mitered. They were fairly easy to make.

Getting the miters right on the cove molding took the most fitting/assembly time, and milling/scraping/sanding the cove molding took the most fabrication time.

That is a neat design. I really like cherry and walnut together too.

Glad you like it.

I really love the look of air dried walnut and cherry. I think it's much 'richer' than kiln dried. An initial coat of garnet shellac make both of them really develop a wonderful depth and sheen. After that, I wiped on several coats of Arm-R-Seal, then rubbed it down with 4-O steel wool, then applied a couple coats of Renaissance Wax.

Jim very nice jewelry box. Like all others have said, excellent work on the miters and combo of the two types of wood.
At first glance I thought a small casket was on top of the box! :rofl::rofl::rofl:
But hey, give me a break, I didn't have my glasses on nor did I click to enlarge it first! :p
Seriously, very nice work and someone is going to treasure that for a lifetime.

I too, like both the design and the execution.

Very Nicely done.

I do think you need to get a lathe though, and make a pen.

I'm sure you could improve upon that Mt. Blanc considerably! :eek:

I too, like both the design and the execution.

Very Nicely done.

I do think you need to get a lathe though, and make a pen.

I'm sure you could improve upon that Mt. Blanc considerably! :eek:

Well Brent,
I do have a lathe, and I do know how to use it. See my bowl thread here. Interestingly, I had a pretty nice lathe-made purpleheart pen laying on my desk top, but, for unknown reason, used the Montblanc instead. Oh well...

Well Brent,
I do have a lathe, and I do know how to use it. See my bowl thread

Doh! No offense. I'm sure I knew you had a lathe.

My first 'nice' pen I ever had was a Mt. Blanc just like that. Won it by putting my business card in a fish bowl at hotel I stayed at on a business trip.

Still, I could never resist taking it apart piece by piece on boring conference calls, or in meetings. I think my constant fiddling with it is why I can't find it anymore... Must be related to why I like making pens so much, even though I rarely write with them any more....