So ...what did you accomplish in the shop this weekend

Rob Keeble

Hi guys

I envy those of you who are able to post projects here at the moment. I am still a work in progress with my shop. Got to spend the day out there today and all I accomplished was a bunch of drywalling and mudding. Really hate drywall and should have got a pro in to do it but I wanted the experience. Only need this experience once though. Nothing worth showing a picture of.:(

So those luck ones out there that got to work on their projects,,,,,,,show those of us less fortunate some progress pictures just to keep us motivated.:)

Nothing in the shop, but got a few good hours on the sawmill cutting for a local golf course. Three hours on Saturday cutting Spruce into 1x's and 2x's, then five hours today cutting Cedar into 6/4 for deck boards and three huge dead Elm logs into 8/4 planks for bridge decking. I was pretty whupped when I got done the Elm! Two gorgeous days, about 50'F, clear, sunny, slight breeze, birds singing, deer passing through the meadow behind me, just the kind of day that makes you happy to be alive.

cheers

Well, I've got pictures to take, but so far....

* Finished up the last of 4 cutting boards to send out.
* Made a really ugly little salt cellar on the lathe. It might work, but I need to get some good wood for a real one.
* Got parts cut out and dry fitted for a box for the box exchange.
* Made a new tablesaw 45degree angle sled (Needed for the box, donchaknow)
* Made 2 Celtic Cross pen blanks
* Turned one of the celtic cross pen blanks (Actually, it's the best one I've ever done, so far)
* Made a dozen bottles of Board Gu to send out with the cutting boards.
* Watched a couple of Nascar races in the shop
* Used Toni's technique of finding lost items to find a magazine I needed for the box. (It worked, although my spell was not nearly as colorful as Toni's. Next time I need it, I will use Toni's spell as it seems much more satisfying).

Thats about it. Will be posting pictures of some of these later.

Not too much, got started on a storage rack for my growing collection of lathe tools, cleaned up the shop, put up a shelf for bowl blanks and lumber, drilled bench dog holes in the top of my workbench.

I sold my old table saw. Link

12320012.jpg

As I posted last week I got delivery of my new SawStop so the old saw has to go. It has been a good TS for me and has done a lot of work in my shop.

The base was my 1st real cabinet and has serviced me well. I plan to build an custom fitted cabinet for the new SS. Having my TS blades and tools handy has really spoiled me.

So now on to getting the new TS into the basement and start the installation process.

Last edited:
Bartee,

I imagine that must have been a bittersweet departure. Such a nice looking setup for your old saw.

Congrats on finding it a new home! (And on getting your sawstop up and running!)

all I accomplished was a bunch of drywalling and mudding. Really hate drywall and should have got a pro in to do it but I wanted the experience

I also hate mudding - and I'm not really good at it.
I confess that I scratch my heads at people who slave over mudding in their shop. :huh: It's a shop!! it's going to be dusty, messy, and banged up!
I'd seriously consider just slapping up the drywall and painting it.

Made 25 bullet pens. Made 15 bullet pen bottoms for others. Made 2 urchin ornaments. Made 15 bottle stoppers and 25 light pulls. Needed to make the decision to do something or else sell everything. Pictures if I can remember where I put the camera.

I sold my old table saw. Link

12320012.jpg

As I posted last week I got delivery of my new SawStop so the old saw has to go. It has been a good TS for me and has done a lot of work in my shop.

The base was my 1st real cabinet and has serviced me well. I plan to build an custom fitted cabinet for the new SS. Having my TS blades and tools handy has really spoiled me.

So now on to getting the new TS into the basement and start the installation process.

Neat photo gallery Bartee as well as the cabinet. If you dont mind I would like to understand how the mobile part works. I see the casters, but I also see the levelers. How do you get it to roll and then set down on the levelers. I would like to do something similar but could not figure this out.

Nothing IN the shop, but something FOR the shop. See here: http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?p=123619#post123619.

While we were in Denver, we did make one "vacation-type" stop, at the Colorado Railroad Museum (LOML is a train buff). It's just down the road from the Coors Brewing Plant--which is HUGE, by the way. Got some really neat pictures at the Museum. They have 14 acres of rail cars and engines - all of the engines are old steam models. David had a great time.

IMG_1452.jpg

I think he must have been a train engineer in another life.

Nothing IN the shop, but something FOR the shop. See here: http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?p=123619#post123619.

While we were in Denver, we did make one "vacation-type" stop, at the Colorado Railroad Museum (LOML is a train buff). It's just down the road from the Coors Brewing Plant--which is HUGE, by the way. Got some really neat pictures at the Museum. They have 14 acres of rail cars and engines - all of the engines are old steam models. David had a great time.

View attachment 24791

I think he must have been a train engineer in another life.

Nancy its the boys and their toys thing. Which boy ever gets tired of trains. The sense of adventure and the mechanical wonder of steam. Great new sander by the way.

I would, but the moderators told me no more than posting 800 pictures a week.:D

(I already started my new project, while the other one was drying.)

allen you can have my allotment for this weekn and nthe next 3 so go for it bud:rofl::thumb:

but i did get some dirt moved and possibly got the concrete in progress for the porch, so me and steve can set out there with our corn cob pipes and jugs and fix all the worlds problems the next time he is in the hood:)

Last edited:
I got the drawer parts rough-size cut and thicknessed. I'll let them rest as I will be out of the shop for a bit starting tomorrow. The rest of the weekend got eaten up with non-shop stuff . . . The drawer parts and the ebony should be ready when I get back and then I hope to finish up a pair of nightstands (some time this year).

Started glueing up the assembled panels for the built in dining room casework. This is the first cabinetry i've made, and it's coming along pretty well. I'm still hoping to meet my thanksgiving deadline for completion - we'll see.
All that sawdust - the shop smells great these days.
Paul Hubbman