Edom Festival of the Arts Report

Cody Colston

Well, my first show is history and I'm greatly encouraged by the results. I had invited a turning buddy to share a booth with me (and split the $200 entry fee) and over the two day festival, we did over $2000 in business.

He had one table selling primarily wine bottle stoppers, ceiling fan pulls and pens. (the bottle stoppers went like hotcakes at $17 each, especially the first day).

I had two tables set up with bowls, hollow forms, vases, lidded boxes and even some small Hickory 'shrooms. The bowls sold the best. I think I only sold two vases and a couple of lidded boxes. The shrooms all sold at $5 each (my inexpensive items). I also had some antler and Mesquite Americana pen/pencil sets that didn't sell at all. That really surprised me.

Saturday there were tons of people there the entire day...10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Today there weren't as many folks but still a good crowd for the 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. show period. I did about half as much business today as Saturday.

The weather could not have been better with sunshine, a low of 50 deg. and a high around 75 deg. with low humidity. I took down a bunch of notes for things to do differently/better at future shows and really had a great time as the wife went with me. She enjoyed the experience immensely.

Best of all, she didn't bat an eye when I started talking about upgrading my lathe this spring (to a PM 3520B). She was more impressed with the take than I was...and I was pretty happy.

Now, I've got to start replenishing my inventory. I swapped a couple of bowls, an antler pen/pencil set and a hollow form to a friend of the wife's who promised me some wood in return. The friend called a few minutes ago and they already have me a large Cherry burl waiting for me to pick up.

Life is extremely good!

Okay, Okay, here's some pics. LOL :D

L-R, me, my wife and my friend "Boodrow" at early set-up
Me and Boodrow with our wares
Me, looking glum for some reason...probably because of the pic
Boodrow with a couple of patrons in the background
A ~30" diameter Pecan tree near our booth that had a burled trunk. I told the show promoter that if it ever died or blew over to call me...I wanted it!

Attachments

• Show Pics 003.jpg
    Show Pics 003.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Show Pics 2 002.jpg
    Show Pics 2 002.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Show Pics 2 003.jpg
    Show Pics 2 003.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Show Pics 2 005.jpg
    Show Pics 2 005.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Show Pics 2 006.jpg
    Show Pics 2 006.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
must be some of the oil profits!

are filtering back your way cody! glad you done so well...many many years agao i had booth for leather craft and the littel stuff soldlike hotcakes i stayed after the closing on both days just to take care of the back orders..the beter half was sellun then faster than i could make them. good luck on your next adventure:D:thumb:

Congrats Cody! Looks like you had a great time, made some $$ and you were able to take the success and snowball it into an nod for a PM from the "boss"....yeah that sounds like a good day. :thumb:

Hey Cody, You Rock! Nice take for the time invested. Maybe you could take some of Vaughn's work on consignment since the people coming to his shows seem a little less, um, generous.:D