Saw Log, how would you have it cut?

you mentione the slabes being usuful are talking the slab wood on the first cut or are you talking about thick cuts on the log????

That would be the first cut Larry. I've always called the first cut on a raw edge the slab. The second sets of boards with two clean faces and one or two raw edges I've called flitches and then boards have four clean edges. I know that heavy boards (planks) are sometimes called slabs also but I guess technically they are just thick boards. I usually edge the flitches on the mill to make boards.

The slabs are a gold mine of narrow boards, and depending on how thick the first slab has had to be cut you can get some nice quarter sawn stuff. On my mill the biggest log I can cut is 29", and the highest I can set my band is 22", so the first slab can be as thick as 7". There's a lot of lumber in a 7" thick slab.

cheers

With a log that big, I would try and get some larger stock. Most sawyers(good ones) can yeild a nice selction from large logs. Go for some 5/4, 8/4, and maybe some 12/4 stock

With a log that big, I would try and get some larger stock. Most sawyers(good ones) can yeild a nice selction from large logs. Go for some 5/4, 8/4, and maybe some 12/4 stock

ok Al, give me your reasoning behind your choices in this logs cuttin sizes..and approx percentages of? this is for everyones knowlege base here Al
thanks to those who have replied.. i have had several logs cut, but some of you may not have had the chance to see it or the process of it so when i get ready i will get my photographer and we will work to get a step by step sorta of this process for the folk who havent had the chance to see how it is done, there is a fair amount of work involved to get it to the mill.. then the cuttin isnt all games either:) john i saved your response!

Maybe 70% 5/4 This will file most needs, 25% 8/4, this is great for tables and such and 5% 12/4 for for table legs and or turnings. This just my idea of general use. Your milage will vary.:)

I'd go 8/4 for most of the stock. Maybe some a little thicker for legs. My reasoning is I would rather re-saw to get thinner than glue up to get thicker. I'd also make sure they cut it at full 4/4, 8/4, etc. If they set up to cut at 1", you end up with 7/8" due to the blade.

Ash would make a great bench. That's what I have for my bench, if I ever get around to getting it put together. :eek::

On another note, where in tarnation you gonna put more wood? Seems, as I recall, you had a pretty full storage area when I was there. Or, you going to compete with Johnsons?

Karl

well karl glad to see your back on this side of the world:D:thumb: i think i can see a sale comng up soon on some lumber,,kinda like the big stores end of year clearance for the new models:) thanks al for the break down. i will talk with my sawyer and se how he looks at it and will get some 8/4 for sure not as sure about the 12/4 but he cuts a real nice 4/4 which is actually 1.125 and uniform if your careful you can sometimes get full inch clean..which for tables is nice.. i had thought of the bench scenerio kary havent seen yours thou???// norman i am still doing tree work and not doing to well at it yet after the nov.14 i will get on the other job again:D:D right now i am focused on climbing trees without falling..

I typically saw everything 4/4 just because of the drying time. Since I am doing less and less woodworking, I could get by with 8/4 stock, but unless I am building tables or something, why bother with the longer dry times and increased chance of twist, checking and other factors that air drying lumber introduces?

As for sawing, I prefer to plain saw most of my lumber, or at least 3 side it. I like 3 sides because it gives you a wider board, but without having to fuss with making one cut on the tablesaw with one barked, wavy edge. Ultimately it lets the sawyer (me or a hired guy) saw out the logs faster, and lets me decide what the figure and defects will be in these wider boards inside the shop when I am thinking about a specific project and need a certain board width.

Interestingly enough I get thoroughly bored with sawing logs. About the only part that holds interest to me is judging a log and trying to get the most board feet out of it from the mill by rolling it, adjusting it and all that. After about 4 logs even that loses its luster.

I got a page on my website dedicated to some common names for logs and sawmilling terms people may be interested in.

http://www.railroadmachinist.com/Wood-Definitions-Intro.html

well its home!

the ash log got loaded last night and we took a very slow trip home.. didnt get a pic of it but did get final measurements.. the widest part is 38" and the narrowest is 34 on the small end. and its 10 ft long,, gonna get a couple oaks tonight and sat it will become boards:) unless my sawyer has to cancel.. tom if your listening, i will call friday if he cancels:thumb:

well here she is!

the ash drop in last night and today we got a couple good oaks,, 24" x 11" nice stuff.. so here is the ash i tried couting the rings for you all and i ran out of finners and toes but my brother helped me out and we come up with around 93yrs old..

IMG_0597tn_.jpg