Wood Gloat

Cody Colston

I rarely venture out of the turning forum over here but I do flat work, too when I can tear myself away from the lathe. I got this batch of Cedar from a buddy who was building a barn and had to cut down the trees...1 1/2 years ago.

I finally went and picked up the logs about six weeks ago, took it to the mill a few weeks later and picked up the lumber this past Friday. It's 595 bf of mostly 4/4 stuff with some 6/4, too.

I cut 50 bf into 4' lengths and stacked it in my shop. The rest, I stacked and stickered outside. I'll use most of it making blanket chests since I can sell as many of those as I can make it seems.

Oh yeah, I've got app. $0.75 per bf invested in the lumber. :D

Attachments

• Cedar Lumber 001.jpg
    Cedar Lumber 001.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Cedar Lumber 002.jpg
    Cedar Lumber 002.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Cedar Lumber 003.jpg
    Cedar Lumber 003.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 48
what size of tree was that? that looks like some pretty clear stuff for cedar,,usually it plumb full of knots up this way if you get a 12" tree your lucky..tha looked much bigger than that

Nice cedar haul Cody :thumb: Once you go flat you will never want to go back to that boring round stuff :p. Congrats on your show last weekend also.

Tom

No, no, no . . . that stuff is much too flat. Get it outta there before your spinny-thing sees it. My address is . . .

Great looking stuff. Congrats.

Were you wearing a mask when you stole that wood, or did you just do it au naturale?

That's a very nice haul. :thumb:

what size of tree was that? that looks like some pretty clear stuff for cedar,,usually it plumb full of knots up this way if you get a 12" tree your lucky..tha looked much bigger than that

Larry, this Cedar came from just South of Brenham, Texas. Brenham is where Bluebell Ice Cream is made if you are familiar with it...very good stuff.

The biggest log was probably 14" or so at the base but these trees had very few, if any limbs for the first 15-20 feet. They were also very straight and you are right, the boards are very clear for Cedar. There are some knots but not nearly as many as I'm accustomed to seeing.

This is the third trailer load I've gotten from my friend. In return, I made him a blanket chest,a Cedar bowl, some antler pen/pencil sets and a wooden album for pictures. He raises trophy Whitetail Deer that he sells to the big South Texas ranches.

Nice load of wood there!! I gotta say that I've never seen red Cedar before. All I've ever seen is white stuff. Like Larry says, getting something without a knot around here is next to impossible and the trees grow like golf tees....big at one end and pointy at the other....usually the big end is rotten in the heart to boot.

Congrats - good price too!!

cheers eh?

John

Cody: That is mighty fine looking cedar. I got 4 cedar chests finished that I have not had time to put a thread together as of yet. I would like to be in Texas Red Cedar at .75 a BF. WOW! that Cedar is like gold in Michigan.I was in Brenham Texas and was looking at Trepanning Tools, And Bluebell ice Cream is some good stuff.
Gayl