Some Pens

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'm not much of a turner, but I do like to make pens from time to time.

Here are a few pens I've recently turned. A couple have been sold, Most of them are going out as gifts.

The Rosewood with the cherry inlay is actually one of the better 'celtic crosses' I've done. I finally got a self centering pen vise. Making sure the blank was perfectly square and that the inlay thickness matched the kerf thickness really helped.

RoseWood with Cherry Inlay
100_0348_800x600.jpg

Rosewood and Bloodwood Inlay
100_0347_800x600.jpg

Spalted Maple
100_0346_800x600.jpg

Walnut Burl
100_0345_800x600.jpg

Purple Heart Americana Bullet
100_0349_800x600.jpg

Purple Heart Americana Bullet
100_0350_800x600.jpg

Last edited:
It's an easy enough concept. I stole it from a pen turning website.

The concept is that you take the blank, saw it at an angle, glue in a strip of wood to replace the kerf you removed. Rotate the blank and do it again. You can rotate the blank 90 degrees each time, but I think doing a 180 and then doing the other sides works better, visually. (Clear as mud?)

There are 4 very important keys I've found to get these to look right.

1) The blank must be exactly square
2) The inlay must be exactly the same thickness as the kerf, maybe a few thou less, depending on how sloppy you glue it up.
3) When gluing, pay more attention to the lining up of the inlay than the sides of the blank
4) The hole must be drilled exactly in the center of the blank.

I'm still working on getting all of these to work out correctly. If you don't you get lopsided loops. I've found some people like these, but I know they aren't right, so I don't give those away. I either don't assemble the pen, or I take it apart and throw the barrels away. It's one reason I have purchased way more cigar pen brass tubes than kits :rolleyes:

I also find that you need to use a bit steeper angle than 45 for things to look good. I typically go for about a 60 degree angle, it gives it more of a 'swoop'.

It's fun. But I do find that I tend to get my fingers covered in medium thick CA glue putting these together....

That kid gives me hope for the next generation!

What a great video!

I'm definitely stealing that technique.

It might keep my fingers from getting so coated in CA glue....:thumb:

The only thing that bothers me is you "not much of a turner" comment. Yer fine, we each choose our area of interest. I turn more pens than anything. Bowl gouges still occasionally rebel when I try using them. Keep it up. :thumb:

Really like all the pens. Maybe someday I'll attempt the inlaid process. Thanks for sharing the video and the 'how to's".