Lame Salt Cellar

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Well,

Here's my first attempt at a salt cellar. I glued up some maple and just went at it. I cheated on the hole. I used a forstner bit to drill it out on the lathe.

I'm not very happy with how it turned out, but it was fun to make, and heck, I'm going to use it for a while until I can get to the store and pick up some kind of a nice blank, and maybe a book to really learn how to turn something other than a pen :D

I just drilled some holes in the lid and body and used a cut off screw as a pivot pin.

saltcellar_1.jpg

saltcellar_2.jpg

It looks good to me Brent. I used mags on the second one and it makes lid attachment critical...but there is always a way around that. Craft supply has some cool videos on fun lathe projects.

Last edited:
I made a little 'transfer punch' type of thing to get the holes lined up.

Drilled the hole in the body, put the 'transfer punch' (really, just a little piece of steel rod cut the right length and sharpened on one end) in the hole. Lined up the lid just so and pressed down. Perfect dimple in the lid for drilling the hole.

Next time I get to the wood working store, I might splurge on a turning blank. Either that or might go trolling for blanks on Ebay and see what I can find.

Dawn beat me to it...it doesn't look lame to me, either. ;) You're just figuring out how you want to make them. For what it's worth, if I ever make one of these, I'll probably start with a Forstner bit, too.