Something Sharp for a Dull Guy

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I've been in search of a better way to get my edge tools sharper. For my non-turning tools, I've used the scary sharp setup, Arkansas oilstones, and the Worksharp 3000, and still have wanted something better. (I also have a brand-new set of ceramic waterstones that I still haven't tried yet.) For my turning tools, I've been pretty happy with the standard 1750 RPM grinder and a Wolverine-style jig, but I'm still open to something better for those, too, especially my skews.

I kind of stumbled upon a deal on a used Tormek 2000 a couple weeks ago, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it. The seller had the grinder and the Turning Tool jig set. Since I have a lot of other tools I wanted to sharpen on it (including kitchen knives, garden tools, and scissors), I went ahead and also ordered the Hand Tool jig set, and a couple other things like the newer-style wheel truing tool and the new Turning Tool Setter, to bring it up to almost the T-7 kit. All told, I got the equivalent of the "Magnum" kit, for about the price of the grinder alone.

I know there are a lot of other (and less expensive) ways to get similar sharpening results, but since about the only negative feedback I've seen on Tormek grinders is from people who don't own one, I suspect I'll be happy with this setup. I also suspect I'll be listing a slightly-used Worksharp 3000 in the Classified Ads before too long. ;)

Here's a bit of evidence for the Picture Police...

Tormek 2000 - 01 800.jpg Tormek 2000 - 02 800.jpg Tormek 2000 - 03 800.jpg Tormek 2000 - 04 800.jpg

the only negative feedback I've seen on Tormek grinders is from people who don't own one

That's funny...

I've always wanted a tormek, just have a hard time justifying the cost...

Keep us posted on how you like it, I'd be very interested since it seems you gone down all the routes I have in the past.

I can get a pretty good sharp on my kitchen knives and and planes and such on my diamond plates and oil stones, but this weekend found out my jointer wasn't working quite the way I wanted. I took all the blades off it and cleaned everything up with kerosene. I ran the blades across a fine stone just to hone it a bit, but I need to send these in to get sharpened and to buy another set.

It'd be awesome to have a way to sharpen jointer blades. Can the tormek do that?

...It'd be awesome to have a way to sharpen jointer blades. Can the tormek do that?

They sell a planer/jointer blade jig (it's about $165 :eek:). I don't know how well they work, but I figured I could buy a couple sets of blades and a fair amount of outsourced sharpening for my 6" jointer for that much money. My planer is a Delta lunchbox (the Snipemaster), and it uses disposable blades. (I use it so little, I'm still on the first side of the original set.)

I've got that same old planer. Funny name. "Snipe Master". It does do a job on the first and last 2 inches of a board.

I do use my jointer a fair amount, but in all the time I've had it I've never touched the blades till now. It's a little old 6" powermatic, but it does what I need.

Before I got my bandsaw, I used to use my planer more to take say a 3/4" board down to 1/2".

A couple years ago I bought a little performax 10/22 drum sander. Now, I'll resaw a 3/4 board to get whatever, 1/2" or 3/8" and have a nice thin piece. I can use the performax to smooth out the band saw marks and get a nice board the thickness I want, and something else to use for whatever....