Small Shop Upgrade

Ralph Connor

So, its getting closer to snowfall and colder temps so I thought it was time to make some improvements to the 2 doors to my shop. First and foremost was to increase security, second to ease access and third to help keep in some heat.

My side door was an old trailer door with duct tape to cover the broken glass.
My front door was a 32 inch solid core door. My first move was to move the front door to the side.

Old%20side%20door1%20%28Small%29.JPG

I had to increase the rough opening to accept a 32inch door.
New%20side%20door%20opening%20%28Small%29.JPG

and finally installed the door
New%20side%20door%201%20%28Small%29.JPG

So now with the front door installed as the new side door I have a need for a new front door. I wanted to insure that the new front door would be large enough to get out any project I may build in the shop. This is to ensure I no longer have to take the door off to get out projects, DAMHIKT (x2). So I opted to build a 42inch insulated door. It would be made up of 2by material skinned on both sides with OSB and include a window.

Door frame:
door%20frame%20%28Small%29.JPG

assembled using pocket screws and went really fast.

I framed up for the window:
door%20window%20frame%20%28Small%29.JPG

Then I installed the first skin:
door%20skin%202%20%28Small%29.JPG

when trimming this skin is when I ran into my router bit problems.

I didn't get pics of the insulation but it is stuffed with 1.5 inches of insulation board. Then the second skin went on and trimmed.

I had to increase the door opening and then installed the door.

And here is the homemade door installed and operational:
New%20Door%202%20%28Small%29.JPG

and a close up of the window, which still needs to be trimmed out to keep it in place:
New%20Door%20Windoe%20%28Small%29.jpG

Total cost was just the router repair kit to finish the door, everything else was recovered materials I had in stock. If I need to remove this door to get a project out I really messed something up. It took a couple weeks to get this done but is a great upgrade. New lock sets will be installed when I become gainfully employed again, but it's still a great upgrade so far.

More upgrades to come.

Hi Ralph
Well done on the upgrade. :thumb:I am also extremely humbled by your post. It has made me realize and appreciate just how fortunate I am to be able to have built my "dream shop" . Wish you the best of luck in your search for employement. Wish I was able to help.