A Little Extra Cash = Tools, Jig Hardware

Rich Aldrich

I have a about $200 extra in cash that I have been saving. A company trip next week to the Fox Valley in Wisconsin is a good opportunity to spend a little cash. I found a few interesting tools on Craigs list and a shop that sells used tools.

A few thngs on my list:
-Ridgid Spindle/Belt Sander - Used - $130
-Quick Release Front Vise - Economy from Woodcraft - $86
-T-Track and hardware for jigs and a drill press table
-Bench Dogs

I am in the process of building a workbench, so I have a lot of interest in the vise and the t-track hardware.

Does anyone know if a Kreg Klamp will fit in a t-track instead of buying the more expensive Kreg track?

I know I cant buy everything listed for the $200, but I am brain storming and will prioritize from here.

Still thinking about a cordless circular saw for sheet goods, but I probably have more useful things on the list to buy ahead of this saw.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Rich

Last edited:
If the Kreg track is the same one they use for their bandsaw fence, then yeah, a 'regular' T-track will work. The bandsaw fence extrusion accepts all the ¼" bolt heads (7/16 wrench size) accessories I have for my DP table, Router table, etc.

Most of the T-track stuff I have is from Hartville Hardware, but it all seems pretty much interchangeable.

Jim's got you covered on the t-track question. A cordless circ saw that is worth owning will blow your whole budget by 30%. With your bench on the horizon I would place priority on a vise. I make my own dogs (round).

Last edited:
Hey Rich,
What size vice are you looking for.
I have a pretty good size vise upstairs that I have not used that I may consider selling. It's an oldie but a goodie.
Garry in Engadine

Last edited:
I agree with all of you about concentrating on the work bench and jig hardware. I have a lot of maple that had cut three in Oct 2006. The bench that I am making is in Issue 166 Nov 2005 Wood Magazine. You can see a picture of it on http://www.woodstore.net/trwo.html.

For the top, I had some of the wood cut 1 3/4 x 3 1/8. It is finishing to 1 1/2 x 2 5/8. To make sure it is straight and without twists, I am having to cut most of the pieces 3 to 4 ft long, so there are a number of butt joints in the top which I am staggering the joints. The bench is going to be 76" long.

Rich,

I bought the larger of the two vises from Lee Valley and am very pleased with it. I bought the largest, thickest maple butcher block cutting board I could find at TJMax and, after cutting it in half, used it as my jaws.

2974834183_773a281a4a.jpg

Last edited:
Frank,

Looks like a nice set up. I have been considering this vise for one of the two that I want to put on my bench. I am considering buying a bench screw for the end of the bench and building a tail vise. With the dogs, I could use it to hold jigs when in use or whatever big stuff needs to be held. With the front vise set up like you have, it gives a little more versatility because it works as a vise and with the bench dogs, it works like a tail vise.

This is how I made out:

Woodcraft economy front vise with a 15" opening without pads
Shoulder Vise Screw from Lee Valley
Two handles
Two Bench Pup, (need more)
Two sections of 48 t-track
Two sections of 36 t-track
Misc knobs, bolts, hardware, hold downs.

I should be good for a while. I do need plans for the shoulder vise - I will probably have to buy a book for the plans.

This will keep me busy for a while.

I do that with a regular vise for metal working on my extended rip table for my table saw. I just use it that way for light work and figured I would do the same thing with this vise on my new bench.

Also, I just ordered The Workbench Book by Scott Landis so I can modify my bench plan to incorporate the shoulder vise.

My biggest upcoming problem is whitetail deer season starts Nov 15. If I can bag the big one early in season, I have almost two weeks to work on the bench. If not, I will have almost two weeks away from working on the bench. It is a tough problem, but I guess I will live.:rofl: