What are your suggestions?

Doug Miller

I'm working on a bunch of knobs. Turning them on a Nova Mercury. Pin chuck mounted in a compact chuck with the pin jaws installed. I'd use a Jacob's chuck but I don't have enough room for Jacob's chuck on both ends and I need on in the tail stock to drill a second hole at the end of the process. Big problem comes in that the compact does not hold the pin chuck tight enough. I guess it is moving to one side at some point because the 3/8" hole that I'm drilling is off center. I know the compact is a lousy chuck. Would a better quality chuck hold the pin chuck more solidly? What are your suggestions?

I bought a little ER-32 collet chuck for my Jet Mini.

I use it to turn pens, yo-yo's, etc...

It's nice because unlike a jacobs chuck, it won't come loose.

I can take the pen mandrel and adjust it to any length.

It screws on to the head stock instead of just sticking into the morse taper.

This means you can use it unsupported for doing small work where you can use some thing like a bolt as a mandrel going into the piece.

I think it would probably work great for knobs...

I'll take a shot that the pin chuck is designed for wood and you are trying to hold metal. A three jawed machinist chuck might work better for you. Too bad another Jacobs won't fit, that really sounds like the best way to go.

Loaded the pin chuck into my Baracuda II Friday and I was astounded at the difference. Should have known that the compact just wasn't enough to grip metal well. It just wasn't designed for that kind of work and abuse. Thanks for all the help.